Anybody doing plan9?

Plan9 has its own thread on the pi forum site; under 'other os' or similar

Reply to
tim.rowledge

I don't know of URLs about it but there is a moderated Usenet group

comp.os.plan9

They may be able to advise more. Feel free to cross-post if the topic is Plan 9 on the Raspberry Pi.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Not sure what plan9 is, relative to rPi, but I did watch Plan 9 From Outer Space on Halloween night. A film classic which is too funny to ever grow tired of. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Th OS was named after the film, of course... The Bell Labs Plan 9 website was no longer available last time I looked so I guess development has stalled. Some info here:

Stan Barr     plan.b@dsl.pipex.com
Reply to
Stan Barr

There was once an OS called Multics, so I suppose Unix might have been a spoof on that.

Esperanto, which AIUI was an attempt to correct the flaws of languages which had evolved rather than being designed, has never had more than a niche in the language marketplace. Maybe there's more than just inertia involved.

--
Windmill, TiltNot@NoneHome.com       Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                            @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m

Ah, Plan 9, the resurrection of the dead!

...and the Plan 9 file system does, in fact, support "the resurrection of the dead". ;-)

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Reply to

The Wikipedia article about Multics says the name similarity is not accidental:

"The name Unix (originally Unics) is itself a pun on Multics."

There's more in the article, of course.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Indeed, unix is a spoof of multics, and at the same time it is a statement of principle. Where multics always chose the large, grandiose way (and complex one), unix always chose the simple path.

Esperanto was just too late. There are two "esperanto" languages that has had great success; they are Swahili and Bahasa Indonesia. They are somewhere around #15 and #4 in number of speakers worldwide. I can attest for the simplicity of Bahasa Indonesia myself; being able to read road signs in about 4 weeks; without _any_ formal training.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad