Any reason not to use a USB power bank as an UPS?

This may depend on who made the battery, its precise chemistry, the permeability & thickness of its separators, etc, etc.

I've been running the Lenovo R61i laptop I'm writing this in that way (it gets run on its battery roughly every year or two) ever since I bought it about 10 years ago. I've just pulled the plug and it is currently reporting a drop in capacity of around a minute for each minute run. Original capacity was about 2.5 hours running and is now down to a bit over an hour.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

True. Li-ions don't like heat either and the battery is usually warm when the laptop is on. OTOH, I have a six year old Thinkpad at work that's mostly been in a dock for that time but the battery still lasts a while. The indicator estimates 1 hour 47 minutes but the laptop is idle. With heavy use might well be a lot less.

I've heard that too and it sounded pretty weird to me. I actually did ask a battery expert when we were selecting a battey for a product and he confirmed what I thought, that's no help.

Reply to
Anssi Saari