Any progress on accelerated GL?

Some time ago an accelerated version of OpenGL was introduced as an
experimental feature on Jessie for the RPI. Far as I can tell there
haven't been any changes/upgrades to it since the original demo release,
despite regular exercises of apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?

Put on ice. Software management isn't a strong point of the Foundation.

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 17:21:19 +0100

I thought it was because it's based on proprietary design information,
so the specification couldn't be released for anyone outside Broadcom to
work on it.

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?

That's the open source video driver. I think OP asked about Wayland.

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?

Truth be told I'm not entirely sure what I was asking about. Only that
the "experimental GL driver" seemed to speed up the Neverball demo in
fairly impressive fashion and that nothing further seemed to be happening.

There was some publicity about Broadcom releasing the the VC4 manual
as an aid to developing a GPU-based video driver, which I _thought_
was the accelerated GL driver. The link is here:
https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-downloads/docs/support/videocore/VideoCoreIV-AG100-R.pdf

It's quite unclear to me just how much help such a document might be:
Likely not much to a device driver writer, but maybe necessary to someone
writing a code generator for a compiler.

The role of Wayland in the enterprise is rather unclear.

Thanks for reading, and any insights!

bob prohaska

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?

VideoCoreIV-AG100-R.pdf
IIRC Wayland is a new X-server implementation that replaces the older X11
Xserver. Xservers can appear to be back to front at first glance. They
own screen, mouse and keyboard and provide access to them as services to
their client programs.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Yes.

https://wayland.freedesktop.org/

    Wayland is intended as a simpler replacement for X, easier to
    develop and maintain. GNOME and KDE are expected to be ported
    to it.

    Wayland is a protocol for a compositor to talk to its clients
    as well as a C library implementation of that protocol. The
    compositor can be a standalone display server running on Linux
    kernel modesetting and evdev input devices, an X application,
    or a wayland client itself. The clients can be traditional
    applications, X servers (rootless or fullscreen) or other
    display servers.

I haven't tried wayland recently, so I can't comment on its current
robustness or suitability for anything other than a test bed.  There's
something to be said for a simpler implementation of X.

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?

It is not an implementation of X at all.  See:
  https://wayland.freedesktop.org/faq.html

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?
Simplified to the point of unrecognisability?

I have to say that X windows was, at its inception (rather like
postcript) the implementation that could in theory do everything.

When all that was needed was the ability to do one thing supremely well.
Completely Define the pixels on a page or a screen.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Re: Any progress on accelerated GL?
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 10:25:50 +0000

    Not even close to X.

    No not really, what X windows was at its inception was a hardware
independent and network transparent graphics protocol. Both of these
features were new and *very* useful and they are still very useful.

    Wayland retains the hardware independence but throws away the
network transparency, which almost certainly makes for a local display that
performs better than X can.

    That's partly true if you're dealing with a self contained computer,
but that's not the world X was designed in.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun