Alternatives to LXterminal

What alternatives are there to LXTerminal on a Raspberry Pi 3 running
Jessie? I spend quite a bit of time using LXTerminal and have two niggles
with it:

First, clicking in the tab bar sometimes closes the tab, even with the
"hide close button" option checked. That makes it much too easy to kill
open editing sessions.

Second, it would be really handy to have a "find" function, similar to
Apple's Terminal program in OSX, that will search the scrollback area
for keywords.

Does such an animal exist?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

Yes, if you install the Mate desktop, you'll get the Mate terminal. I've
never had the problems you describe with tabs, and it as a search within
the buffer option from the menu.

The Mate desktop is slightly heavier on resources than LXDE, but can be
handled easily by the Pi 2 or 3. There are lots of other things that
make it far nicer to use than LXDE or the other extreme light weights.

---druck

---

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

I didn't want to change the whole desktop (which works very well) but
only the terminal emulator. However, Mate looks interesting and might
be worth trying, at least.

Thank you!

bob prohaska

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

Once you have installed another desktop, you can mix and match
components such as file managers. That's a small upside to the annoyance
of then having two of everything in the menus! You can of course either
edit the menus or un-install the old desktop.

---druck

---

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

There are lots:
https://github.com/lxde/qterminal
http://www.tecmint.com/linux-terminal-emulators/
Cheers!

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

Requires QTermWidget which requires qtbase >= 5.4 when Raspbian Jessie
repo only has 5.3. So, no go?

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

How does one download and try them? I tried
sudo apt-get install xfce

and a couple of others, none were found...

The system is
bob@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks!

bob prohaska

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

xfce isn't a terminal program.
I cant try this (no raspbian) but apt-cache search terminal may provide
hits with candidates for your installation
Ron M.

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal
MATE is I think built over Gnome and GTK toolsets so terminals that come
with it may need a lot of baggage installed first.

Personally I think MATE is the best of the bunch for my way of working,
which isn't to say its to everyone else's needs.

Bit if you like a vaguely XP-ish appearance and look and feel, sans the
utter crap that comes with Microsoft, MATE provides it.

It looks like if you want MATE the easiest thing is to reinstall with it

https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianMate

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

As others have said, XFCE is a desktop.

Its terminal is in the xfce4-terminal package in Fedora distros, so may
be worth a look as it works quite well though its quite basic: its only
real extension (which I never use) is that it can have multiple tabs in
its window. This adds an extra tab menu bar to the window for switching
between tabe, each of which occupies the whole window.

I have no idea what other support packages it would drag in since I just
install a Fedora XFCE spin which includes everything the desktop and
terminal need.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It seems as if the feature I'm looking for (search of the scrollback buffer)
isn't to be had without major alteration to the LXDE environment that comes
with Raspbian. That does not seem worthwhile, at least not now.

Thanks to everybody for enlightening me!

bob prohaska

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

My first guess was that this might be a feature of the shell, not the
terminal, but I couldn't find anything in bash or zsh. But it would be
possible running screen in the terminal and search it's scrollback buffer.

Then I've just googled it:
https://superuser.com/a/603450

Some terminals support ctrl+shift+f to search in the buffer. I've just
tried xfce-terminal and it works.

Installing that terminal should be as easy as
sudo apt-get install xfce4-terminal
... at least it is on ubuntu

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

Yeah no, it searches in both input and output, so the whole scrollback
buffer, as if it was all one plain text document. (Which I guess *could*
still be the shell, but terminal much simpler.) Pretty handy sometimes.

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

I'm a pretty big fan of sakura, which is a smallish binary with few
dependencies.  I see the rest of this conversation turned into
recommendation for an alternative desktop.  That's fine if you want big
change, but you can get an alternative terminal without doing so.   As
terminals go, sakura does most of what you want, but not Ctl-F find.
There's also rxvt-unicode in the raspbian package repository.

Roxterm might be your best bet.  That does even the control-F find thing.
I've just discovered it myself.  Seems lightweight, and you can have it
without bringing in a whole new desktop.

Have fun.

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

It finally dawned on me that I was center-clicking on the tab. That seems
to kill the tab unconditionally. I suppose that makes it a wetware bug,
not software 8-)

Thanks very much! I've installed both and will experiment.

bob prohaska

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

screen is a good option here, if you close the terminal the session
remains open, also good if you want to leave a long running process
unattended.

add screen -xRR to .bashrc & it will be automatically run & log into the
previous session if open each time you SSH to your PI.

I line terminator as a terminal but I am not sure about the ability to
check the "scrollback" in the GUI itself
have you checked out the History command?

The computer is to the information industry roughly what the
central power station is to the electrical industry.
Re: Alternatives to LXterminal

tmux is a better bet these days. Actually supports unicode, for
example.

Re: Alternatives to LXterminal
History won't do what find will do. I want to look for things
_other_ than commands I've issued, such as error messages in
response to my commands.

Thanks for replying!

bob prohaska

Site Timeline