Alternative power supply connection for Pi2

An older (version 1.1) Raspberry Pi 2 has suffered a broken microUSB power input connector. The internal "tongue" has snapped off, the connector body is still securely soldered to the board.

For now I'm powering it via the GPIO header, but I believe that will bypass whatever internal overcurrent protection is present. Is there a better way to connect power that will preserve internal protection?

Is it even possible to unsolder and replace the broken connector? To my eye (and hand!) it looks like a fairly difficult job without special equipment.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Bob-

Someone may be capable of replacing your power input connector, but the cost of having it done may be greater than the price of a replacement RPi. Especially an older version. While you are at it, get two!

I do not know if you are bypassing over-current protection. But does it matter? If the board is already broken, you will still be getting some use out of it.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

It is bypassing the current protection, but you can get pretty good protection by putting a 2A quick-blow fuse in line. Depending on what you're running, you might even be able to go down to 1A.

--
W J G
Reply to

Ok, it sounds like there aren't any vastly better solutions than what I'm doing now. For the time being I'll just leave it alone and use it as-is.

If it blows, it blows

8-)

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Could try taking it to a small mobile phone repair shop. Replacing micro USB sockets in phones is a very common requirement.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For the price of brand new Pi ...

/ Bud /

a1=S0 b1=[1..2,'L0L'] a2=2*a1 a3=S1.4#b1 a4=(a2,a3) a5=64*a4

Reply to
Bud Spencer

Probably cost more than a new Pi....

The Natural Philosopher

The over current protection is mainly to stop you drawing too much current through the USB ports on the Pi. If you aren't using high powered USB equipment, it's not going to be an issue.

Or use power supply which wont deliver over 2A.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I would never recommend that. Modern ones usually then go into hiccup mode, which (while protecting the PSU itself) under some circumstances can actually do a lot of damage elsewhere.

Been there... T shirt :(

--
W J G
Reply to

I should be clearer that I meant a proper bench power supply which a current limit feature, rather a phone charger which may act as you describe.

---druck

Reply to
druck