4.41 inch ePaper Display for the rPi

Is this the display you are looking at:

hamilton

That is two displays. I am looking at the Aurora Ma (V230) wide temperature range. The Vizplex (V110) display is the standard temperature range display.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yes ?

Reply to
hamilton

Yes, what? If you are asking if this is the extended temperature range,

every reference to temperature.

--

Rick
Reply to

OK, speaking of reading the data sheet.....

The COG that is mounted on this display has an SPI interface.

You ranting about timing is wrong.

Pervasivedisplays does not sell raw displays.

So, why don't you design your own display modules ??

Reply to
hamilton

Look, if you think I am "wrong" and ranting, please feel free to contact Pervasive. For the displays 2.7 inches and smaller, they give you full details on using the display. For displays larger than 2.7 inches the

*only* solution they will support is to use the Timing Controller Module (TCM) provided by them which is made by MPicosys. I have spoken with the salesperson who gave me a good history and why the Pervasive designed Timing Controller was scrapped. They indicate very clearly that you must use a timing controller with the larger displays and for unknown reasons they will not provide the info for designing your own.

Before you post any more on this, please educate yourself.

--

Rick
Reply to

I have no experience wiring displays for the RPi. But I did come across this: (I don't work for them and receive nothing for the mention)

"...7.0 inch LVDS TouchPanel, transmissive Normal White with an operating temperature of -20 ~ 70 degrees Celsius and a storage temperature of -30 ~ 80 degrees Celsius. As an active area of

152.4x91.44 mm ..."

Will that cook your canopy? --(o=8> wiz.

Between

inches

documents

be

is

limited

such

--
  All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps.
There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution.

The temperature range of these displays are not bad, but I am not sure if they are readable in direct sunlight. Seems to be a lose-lose situation. The e-paper displays are easy to read under most lighting conditions while the LCD displays wash out easily. However, the e-paper displays can't take the heat or the cold even as well as LCD which has always performed poorly in the cold.

I got more info on the rather ugly situation regarding the Pervasive built Aurora displays. Seems the controller made by Mpicosys was developed for the standard temperature displays, but also is used with

When the extended temperature displays were released there was no new controller for them so they remain limited in temperature by the Mpicosys controller. It seems the waveforms must be tweeked to get a clear display at the higher temperatures and this remains unsupported. Reading between the lines of the messages I have received this display is likely to be a non-starter for outdoor use. Since the eval kit is only $50 I might still get one and spend a little time with it. But it would be hard to decide to produce a product using it given that the stated absolute max temperature range is a fraction of what the unit is likely to see in operation.

--

Rick
Reply to

Has anyone actually tried integrating the 4.41" display made by Pervasive D isplays which has the TCon chip made by Mpico Sys with any micro controller ?

I am trying to get it working with a Pi/Arduino Mega board. I am through wi th the hardware connections between the TCon PCB board and the controllers. Unfortunately I couldn't find any supporting EPD libraries for the same as there were for the smaller display ranges made by them.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out for just driving the display and getting it started. Thank You.

Reply to
dangerxtream

I never invested in the display. I was looking for something I could use outside and with the TCon module the temperature range is more limited than the conventional temperature displays.

Try contacting MPicoSys. In the end they turned out to be much more forthcoming of info than the Pervasive guy was. I understand the issue. The PDI guy had to dance around telling me the "dirty" details of how and why they couldn't provide a wide temperature solution using their wide temperature display. lol

The interface to the TCON is SPI I believe. The formats of the commands and responses are documented. Have you tried working at that level and making your own library?

--

Rick
Reply to

ve Displays which has the TCon chip made by Mpico Sys with any micro contro ller ?

h with the hardware connections between the TCon PCB board and the controll ers. Unfortunately I couldn't find any supporting EPD libraries for the sam e as there were for the smaller display ranges made by them.

the display and getting it started. Thank You.

Thanks Rickman. I have contacted both the companies. I am hopeful of some h elp. I haven't tried working at that level as of now since I am struggling with a time constraint to get it done. But I shall start on that path up ah ead when I am done dealing with some short term issues. Thanks a lot for yo ur support.

Reply to
Hrishikesh Tamhane

It's quite possible to get an Android device with an ePaper display, I have one and it's pretty good at what it does.

Take a look at the Icarus readers, the E653 in particular.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Do me a favor and keep in touch. I'd like to know how your project turns out. I'm curious, why do you need this display? I found the PDI displays to be better documented than the ones from Good Display and I could buy them without dealing with Alibaba. But the Good Display units have twice the resolution and are available with front lighting and touch panel.

Posting here would be good or you can contact me directly at gnuarm dot

2007 at arius dot com
--

Rick
Reply to

How fast does it redraw the screen?

--

Rick
Reply to

My guess would be somewhat less than 1 second though that's only subjective. It does produce some strange effects with standard Android app animations but it mostly works pretty well.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

That is an e-paper display for sure then. I'm surprised they included this display in anything other than a book reader. So much of what a tablet or PDA does requires faster drawing times.

Wait until you try to use it in cold weather. They slow down a *lot*.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'm rather unlikely to use it in the cold! :-)

It's promoted mainly as an e-reader but with the advantage of being much more 'open' than the proprietary Kindle etc. I bought it for its openness, it means I can read Amazon Kindle books *and* ePub books from my public library (and for that matter other proprietary formats).

--
Chris Green
Reply to

I assume you can also run your own code on it? I've never been clear on just how open Android devices really are. I don't have one of my own, but maybe it is only the Android cell phones that aren't very open.

--

Rick
Reply to

You'd have to root it, as delivered Android isn't open like a Linux installation. Android on a tablet is near enough the same as Android on a smartphone, one of its advantages in a way.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

To install a user developed Android application, you don't need to root it. This is different from an iPhone. An Android device can be configured to install packages from .apk files or from user defined app stores.

Of course an Android application has no full control over the system, that is where the rooting comes in.

Reply to
Rob