3B+ new install with a USB drive

Hello All!

A few weeks ago I bought and installed a new computer - a Pi 3B+ I also installed a 1 Tb hard drive connected via a powered USB Caddy.

Then I tried to follow the instructions to copy over the NOOBS system to it which failed badly using my Magiea v6 Linux system so used the Rasbian CD copier to copy to the HDD and this finished without any reported errors.

How ever trying to boot to the HDD did not happen so I guess the CD copier did not do the job.

Any one with ideas of how to create a NEW HDD using the SD card that is no longer as a fresh install as there has been many updates.

I can install the HDD into my system and have a SD card reader as well as a adapter for the baby card used in the Pi. The problem appears to be the tool to use.

Currently the existing usb HDD is using only two partitions having clean what was created up a bit, namely a swap partition with the rest as /home

I mount it at / where user pi and myself have our home directories but clearly this is a bit of a bodge as it still boots to the SD card as near as I can tell.

Would be handy to speed the thing up as all system tools, libraries etc are used via the SD card.

I do want to run the Pi as a backup to my main system as I have installed a bbs (mbse), apache, samba, mysql servers and yes have noticed it is not that quick :)

Could do with more Ram, Sata or two ports, USB 3.x+ ports but I am guessing I am wishing for the impossible.

It is a pity there is not a Pi +++ version with these extras even if it costs more

Any other minor issue is that the OS is ony 32bit as I could not find a x64 version any where which I think would help to speed some process up a tad.

Any one with any ideas as I have run out.

Thanks for any help,

Vince

Reply to
Vince Coen

Vince Coen kirjoitti 3.1.2019 klo 8.06:

Have you read:

I know it says Rpi 3 but still..?

Thomas Wendell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
tumppiw

Hello tumppiw!

Friday January 04 2019 02:14, you wrote to All:

Thanks tried again from scratch and it work using my real linux system. Now to transfer over my old hdd contents.

Thanks for the prompt.

Vince

Reply to
Vince Coen