3.5" TFT touch screen

Has anybody got experience/recommendations for using any of the 4" or
3.5" TFT touch screens on an RPI and operating it outdoors?

I ask because I'm wondering about replacing the Medion S3747 PNA, which
has a 3.5" screen with a similar sized package based on an RPi fitted
with one of the TFT touch screen HAT units as the navigation display in
my glider.

The RPi would run the Linux version of LK8000 and replace the Medion,
which runs a WinCE version of LK8000, as the moving map navigation system
in my glider. Since the glider has an untinted bubble canopy the
performance of the screen in bright sunlight is important: the Medion hs
very good in this respect because it has a trans-reflective screen which
is readable, even with direct sum from over my shoulder on its screen.

I have a space problem on my instrument panel: a 3.5" display is OK and
so is a 4" display provided its bezel adds less than 3mm to the width and
height of the display - some of the newer displays look as if they can be
housed in a custom enclosure that meets this requirement. Thickness
doesn't look to be an issue because a Pi B wearing the TFT display hat
isn't much thicker than the Medion.

LK8000: is an open source community developed glider navigation system.
http://www.lk8000.it/

It has been compiled to run on a RaspberryPi - I'd probably put it on an
RPi 2B because that should be fast enough and having an ethernet
connection is nice for uploading plottable NOTAMS, restricted airspace
maps etc.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: 3.5" TFT touch screen.
Hello Martin and others,

Thu. 11 Jul 2019, 18:40:07, Martin Gregorie wrote to All:

MG> Since the glider has an untinted bubble canopy the
MG> performance of the screen in bright sunlight is important

On larger open sailing ships without a steering cabin,
we have the same problem for displaying AIS-data at ECDIS screens in sunlight.
We are using a Raspberry Pi 2B or higher with OpenCPN moving map for it.
To have a better view in direct sunlight you can buy FayTech monitors at
several Inch formats in both VGA and HDMI versions with TouchScreen function.
The smallest are 7" but the 15" model is the most brilliant and water tight.
Look at <http://www.faytech.com
They also sell an embedded pc+monitor in one case in several Inch formats.
Most models can be powered from both 230 Vac~ / 50 Hz as from 12 Vdc=.
In your case the weight is also important.
So maybe they have a model suitable for your glider?
Good luck in finding a better (display) solution.

Greetings from Henri.

Re: 3.5" TFT touch screen.

Thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately all their monitors are much too
big for my cockpit.

I wasn't kidding when I said I have a space problem: here's a picture of
the Medion S.3747 as its currently mounted, using a flexi mount to
support it in front of the panel.

https://www.gregorie.org/gliding/libelle/panel_2017.jpg

The Medion is running my preferred navigation software, LK8000.

http://www.lk8000.it/

Its screen is 2.8" on the diagonal, but as you can see it has a rather
wide bezel, so a RaspberryPi with one of the more recent 3.5" displays
would be no bigger provided the case doesn't extend more than 3mm all
round the screen.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org