yellow 5th band R

Hi all, sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not finding any good info on the net it seems. I often see in old (CRT) TV chassis some resistors with a standard 4 bands code (the 4th is Gold) plus a 5th band always yellow, for example Brown Black Black Gold Yellow (measures 10 ohms as expected). What's the meaning of the additional yellow band? Thanks in advance Frank

Reply to
frank

I don't think yellow was an option on 5 band resistors, it was on 6 band where it was the temperature coefficient.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

yellow is used in lieu of gold for tolerance - it's non-metallic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In which case why on earth would you have both? ("Lieu" implies substitution!)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

-----------------

** I have two 1W, MF resistors here,

R1 = brown, black, gold, gold.

R2 = brown, black, back, silver, brown.

Can you say what their values and tolerances are ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

the resistors I'm talking about have both gold (as 4th band) and yellow as 5th band.

frank

1 ohm, 5%

1 ohm, 1%

Well, I guess the answer to my original question was probably a temperature tolerance band or something similar. Seems I am not alone.

Frank

Reply to
frank

Yes, obviously the presence of gold means it's not substituting for gold. This explains:

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The 3 first are the value (the last one is the multiplier).

Then, there is the tolerance.

And finally it can exist a 5th one, the thermal drift.

Reply to
Look165

Too bad there is usually so little difference between yellow and gold as opposed to blue and gold or silver and gold.

Reply to
bruce2bowser