x-tronic 4000 hot air station replacement heating element

I have an X-tronic 4000 that burned out it's hot air element (lasted three years, not bad). It shipped with a spare heater which is nice but I'd like to keep one in stock in case this one craps. There are a lot on ebay but n one list the x-tronic specifically. The element in my station looks like t his:

The description lists it at 250W (like mine does) but it's at 220V. Mine i s a 120V machine, and I don't see any others that physically look the same but are 110V units. I didn't take mine apart but I don't think it's got a s tep up trans inside, or does it? Anybody else have this machine and a sour ce for the elements?

Reply to
John-Del

John,

This should work. It has the case so it costs about 25.00 with shipping.

Chuck

It would seem that X-tronic 4000 takes the same heating element as the common 850 style hot air gun. If that's the case, there are plenty to choose from on eBay: If you go down the list, most are for 220VAC, but some include a choice of voltage, such as:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The coiled ones on the ceramic form look drastically different from the "bird nest" ones that are used in the X-tronics station. I noticed that they both have the same plug so they could be interchangable.

Chuck

Yep. My guess(tm) is that the ceramic form flavor does a better job of supporting the nichrome wires than the free form tangle of wires. My favorite way of destroying heater wires is to drop the device while it's red hot. The creamic form does block the air flow more than the free form flavor, so there may be a problem if you like to use high levels of air flow. I don't because it spreads the heat over too large an area on the PCB. At $10/ea, it's cheap enough that one could buy one of each type and experiment.

I just looked inside my 852d hot air gun and found that it uses a ceramic heater form.