WSON package prototype

Hello,

I am trying to prototype a circuit which uses a TI LMP91000 IC. The IC is a tiny WSON package and I'm unsure how to go about making a prototype PCB for it.

Can standard UV photoresist and etching methods be used?

I have access to an oven for surface mount devices. Does a stencil need to be created to apply the solder paste? The pin/pads under the IC are very tiny.

The adapters I have seen to convert WSON to DIP are far too expensive.

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

Sure, they make the ICs themselves with very similar resist and processes.

Yes, you need a stencil to get the right amount of paste in the right spots. Expect a LOT of tests before you get anywhere near reliable soldering. I worked with a WS package a while ago and had insane difficulty with solder bridges under them chips. I redid the board with an SSOP-type package and that worked vastly better.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson