Wireless router as repeater

Setting up a wireless router to work as a repeater hasn't worked out the way I hoped it would.

I got another Netgear router, different model, hoping it would be easy to set it up where I could go around to anywhere in the house and get great reception. The directions were vague. After searching the Internet I tried setting up both server and client to use WEP, but, that didn't work. The client showed the server connection, SSID, strength, but, couldn't provide service. I tried using WPA on the server and WEP on the client, and again the client showed the server connection, SSID and strength, but, no service to computers. Station list is always blank for computers wanting Internet access.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this working?

My only other option, I can see, is to hire someone to run network cable through the attic and walls, which I was hoping to avoid.

Reply to
Uncle Albert

You will need routers / access points which support WDS - the Wireless Distribution System.

From what I've heard, it's tricky to get it working correctly. Many vendors only support WDS between their own devices (inter-vendor interoperability is somewhat poor), many only support "static" keys (WEP and static-key WPA), and in general it tends to cause headaches.

You'll probably have to specifically enable WDS in your router configurations (in "wireless repeating" mode rather than bridging mode), set up static keying, and make sure they're both on the same SSID and channel.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

You either set them up in bridge mode, or buy a range extender. Bridge mode only allows the two routers to talk to each other.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The short answer is you can't use a wireless router as a repeater. A fuller explanation of what you have ('I got another Netgear router' implies you already had one router), and what you are trying to accomplish ('where I could go around to anywhere in the house and get great reception') suggests you are trying to set up a wireless network.

On the off chance my (frustrating) experiences with multiple routers will help you, here's a brief narrative. The phone company supplied an Actiontec DSL modem / router with 4 ethernet jacks. This was connected to several computers and eventually a ethernet switch as the number of computers grew. With the idea of adding wireless connectivity I connected a Netgear wireless router to the network, which immeadiatly crashed the network because the routers were conflicting with one another. By disabling the router portion on the Netgear I was able to get this sometimes working, but it was prone to crashing, requiring reseting to factory defaults, and once again bringing down the network until I could disable the router.

The more effective solution was to use a wireless access point to provide the wireless connectivity. This was obtained through Craigslist for about $15 if I recall correctly. An alternative solution was an Actiontec DSL modem /router with usb, ethernet and wireless connectivity.

A second issue is configuring the wireless connection. You must set up security or you will allow everyone in the neighborhood access to your internet connection and to your computer. Do not use WEP - it can be cracked in minutes. Use WPA, and use a randomly generated key

- ideally a full 71 characters. (A thumb drive saves a LOT of retyping).

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

What about "Homeplug" powerline ethernet as an alternative?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Roger Blake

alt.internet.wireless

Why you would ask in "repair' is a puzzle...

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I bought the homeplug today. The reviews were good. Now I'll have two different wireless networks to cover the whole house.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Reply to
Uncle Albert