Wireless keyboard question

I bought my elderly father a refurb all-in-one desktop Mac a couple years old. It didn't come with the OEM keyboard but some kind of kinda crappy Shenzen-special "wireless" keyboard. I assumed it was Bluetooth at first but there's no dongle anywhere in the box, or instructions.

So you put in the AAA batteries, flip the "on" switch and power up the Mac and nothing happens, the "wireless" keyboard and mouse don't do a thing.

I'll get him something better ASAP but in the meantime wtf do you do with this thing?

Reply to
bitrex

You look at the keyboard serial number tag to identify the maker and model number. From that, you can probably find an overpriced matching USB receiver on eBay.

If "something better" means Logitech, they make some good keyboards and a few really awful keyboards. For example, the K750 uses an MS2032 rechargeable button cell that is rather difficult to find, difficult to remove and difficult to replace: ML2032 cells are available on eBay in your choice of real, mislabeled, or counterfeit. Lifetime of the MS2032 cell is about a month if you allow the cell to discharge for extended periods. So, you have to leave it in a well lit room or near a window to keep it charged. There are others that suck, but this is the worst design I've seen.

If you buy used, you'll find quite a few Apple BlueGoof anodized aluminum wireless keyboards. Besides the traditional unrepairable keyboard, where one coffee spill means the keyboard is mortally wounded, this also model offers an aluminum battery compartment and stainless steel battery cover. Aluminum and stainless are not very galvanically compatible, but will survive as long as there is no liquid electrolyte inside the the threads. This is unlikely because the common AA batteries will either outgas or leak, causing the battery cover to RIP (rust in place). While you are trying to figure out a way to remove the battery cover, the leaking electrolyte is quietly rotting out the contacts and PCB traces.

However, if you're lucky enough to find an Apple wireless anodized aluminum keyboard that hasn't died from a battery electrolyte hemorrage, you can kill it with software. I have several keyboards that failed to survive a firmware upgrade. Apple gives you only one chance to install the firmware. If there's any hesitation or hiccup in the upload, it merrily continues and installs corrupted garbage. If you try to recover by installing an earlier version, Apple's installer refuses to allow a firmware downgrade.

Have fun keyboard shopping.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

If you think Bluetooth isn't working, try a USB mouse and keyboard. If Bluetooth is working, and turned on, does it show any available keyboards or mice to pair with? Connection isn't just automatic, you have to AUTHORIZE the bluetooth item from the host computer.

Either System Preferences/Bluetooth or the Bluetooth pulldown menu is a place to start.

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks for the detailed reply! You can really brick Apple keyboads during a firmware update whaaaaat?!

Reply to
bitrex

Thanks for the reply, it's just frustrating that I have to use a _wired_ keyboard and mouse to get a wireless set to work. I don't have any wired keyboards or mice lying around! What is this, 2002?

Reply to
bitrex

hing.

rds

RIZE the

lace to start.

If I remember correctly when a Mac starts, if there is no input device conn eted (keyboard or mice), it turns on automatically the BT and starts the BT assistant to connect a BT keyboard or mice.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Firmware upgrade didn't brick the keyboard, but killed a few keys.

It's been a few years and the keyboards were recycled long ago. Before the upgrade, both wireless keyboards worked normally. Afterwards, the BT KBD would work, but several keys were dead. Different keys on each keyboard. I trashed one on my Mac Mini, while a customer trashed theirs on some other Mac. I vaguely recall the firmware version as

1.4, but that might be incorrect.

The problem was not the failed firmware upload, but rather that Apple does not allow firmware downgrades or reloading the same version that is installed. This is just plain stupid as I could have recovered the keyboard if either were allowed. I tried to find my postings to the Apple forum on the topic, but failed. The user replies were not very useful.

The reason that I mentioned it is that you will find Apple Aluminum BT wireless keyboards at thrift shops with a few defective keys. In many cases, new in the box. Everyone seems to assume that it's a mechanical or liquid problem with the keyboard mechanics. However, I believe it to be failed firmware upgrade problems similar to what I experienced.

Caveat Emptor.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Generally, these devices are IR comunicating.

This needs an IR receiver on the PC.

Reply to
Look165

Huh? IrDA has been essentially dead for at least 10 years. I haven't seen a full size keyboard that uses IR for at least that long. Most everything these days uses some form of wireless to communicate.

Well, not totally dead. It is still possible to buy an IR keyboard today:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

A question of cost efficiency and stock dumping.

IR is so simple to integrate.

...And it uses "big batteries" !

Reply to
Look165