Wireless Cuts Out - Interference ?

Every once in a while it disconnects. When I go to "Connect to" it can't fi nd any networks. This last time I unplugged the MODEM or whatever you call it to see if it was putting out some interference and Windows could still n ot find any networks. Later it found some neighbors' wireless and displayed it though I can't connect because I don't have the password/key. Plug this one back in and after it reboots it connects again and all is well.

I have already changed the wireless board in this PC, a Gateway laptop. I h ad 4 of them so I got parts. One got broke, one got stole and one got whate ver. With a different wireless board it still happens. My sister lives upst airs and her wireless reception is unreliable so she usually plugs in the R J45 connector. I can't use any information from her because my connection d own here is usually solid.

the way I see it, there is probably a strong source of interference. It see ms the only logical explanation. My OS is tweaked well and normally it runs fine but this happens practically at random, but I think I can say it is d uring the day, not night.

Time before last I ran real quick down in the basement where the connection is wired and it was fine. If the MODEM had shut down or something it would not be, and that does not explain why this SECOND wireless board can't pic k up anything when that happens.

I doubt it is Windows going onto some mode or updating because this is not

10, it is Vista. I don't feel like being an unwitting beta tester and all u pdates are turned off. It doesn't even look for them. So it ain't that.

So, while I can find out what frequencies these things run on easily, what I CAN'T find out is whatever else might run on the same frequencies. Interm ittently.

I remember a wireless security camera years ago. It was a good deal except for one thing - whenever it was on you couldn't talk on any cordless phone in the house. I think this is something like that, some sort of thing peopl e use that uses the same band as wireless internet.

What ?

Reply to
jurb6006

It would be helpful to know the maker and model number of the wireless router or "gateway". Some of them are notorious for being unable to maintain and reliable connection.

Oh-oh, that's bad. Kinda sounds like your unspecified model Gateway laptop has a problem either in the hardware, wireless drivers, or in the operating system. I can't tell from here.

Vista is a PITA mostly because Microsoft and vendors are unwilling to fix their drivers because of the small user base. Vista is showing 0.40% or platforms in use.

Not finding any networks is not caused by interference. Transmitters are not on continuously. There are guard times between packets, where broadcasts can be heard by even the most obnoxious wi-fi interference generators.

How much later? Did you reboot before it found the neighbors?

Do you have another wireless client device other than the Gateway laptop? I suspect that it might not be very sensitive and is having trouble hearing anything. Maybe the U.FL antenna connectors fell off the wireless card? If the other device sees multiple SSID's with good strong signals, while the Gateway hardly sees anything, then there's a problem with the Gateway.

Customer arriving with checkbook in hand. Later...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

That reminds me. I heard a couple of people talking about about making a paper cube and covering it with aluminum foil and putting it near the router. I never tried it, though.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

uter or "gateway". Some of them are notorious for being unable to maintain and reliable connection. "

Pace 4111n

laptop has a problem either in the hardware, wireless drivers, or in the operating system. I can't tell from here. "

P-6318u

Well I changed the wifi board and it did no good. Data from upstairs is pro bably no good because of the layout. Where she sits the antenna plates (if they're behind the screen like these) would be just about parallel to the s ignal from the router. I doubt they pick up well like that. She gave up and ran a 100 foot CAT-5 up there a long time ago, and that's with a completel y different router. That was a 2wire 2701hg. Though not for her, that one s eemed to connect for me just fine. It was replaced due to losing the DSL it self. It is on a completely separate phone line shared only with one FAX ma chine and filters are properly installed all over the place. We called, the y sent the Pace and didn't even want the 2wire back.

The outages are about 5 - 10 minutes usually. When it starts picking up aga in that happens all by itself, I don't even have to close and reopen the br owser(s).

The only time I reboot the browser is when FF can't connect and Chrome will . That is due to security issues with the older version (23) I use and pref er. That is likely a security issue, I have tried to tell it to use a highe r TLS mode but got tired of trying to figure it out. At one time Chrome had no bookmarks, it was all "Paste and go"ed. At any rate, that is a separate issue and only happens on certain sites. Then the router throws up the wro ng error, about filters. Well nothing changed. I almost never reboot. But b ottom line is it fixes itself with no intervention at all. That's why I tho ught it a hardware problem, something thermally intermittent. But 2 with th ew same problem ? And drivers don't go thermally intermittent. In fact I ha ve found once they're toast that's it and they need to be reloaded. But it wasn't the wireless board either so I don't know what to do except maybe go back to a CAT cable.

laptop? "

Not that I can get to at the right time usually. Plus that one does not con nect reliably to this wireless. I have a Gateway WGU-210 but IO never got t hat to work right. I also have a Linksys PCMCIA card but I have no slot for it. There is an older laptop in the basement but I just put the wrong vers ion of Ubuntu on it - too new. It seems to see the Linksys but is so slow e verything times out. Maybe I'll put XP back on it, that's what it originall y came with. I think it amazing that anything would run XP better than Linu x ever, but it seems so.

I guess I'll have to give that old laptop another shot. Load it and see if I can get that wireless working just so I know.

I know it is inconceivable that all these wirelesses in the hood go dead at the same time. But what in software could go wrong and fix itself in a few minutes without even reopening the browser ? All I have to do it hit refre sh and there it is.

Money ? And here I thought you were living on pine cones like Yule Gibbons.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hmmm, maybe some sort of reflector would help the reception upstairs...

Reply to
jurb6006

trouble hearing anything. Maybe the U.FL antenna connectors fell off the wireless card?"

When it works I get 5 bars out of 5 on the signal level. It calls it "Excellent". Also, I had this thing out on the highway one time and it picked up all kinds of signals.

Just so happens the thing is right in front of me and has the covers off. The little black and white wires are connected.

Stop right there. I know. Stupid thing can't even view a GIF. It opens IE to do it ! And I tried, the picture and FAX viewer cannot handle GIFs. It does in XP, and you can zoom them and really see them. But Vista is so much better it can't do that.

I almost upgraded this to XP when I first got it, had the drivers and everything downloaded but never got around to it. If I could find a really good comprehensive security package for XP I would run it until I drop dead.

And when I installed a second HD in it the DVD disappeared. That might be the mobo though. I guess I could boot off a live stick of Linux and see what it picks up.

Reply to
jurb6006

Or, I've also heard that putting an empty paper-towel or toilet-tissue roll covered inside and out with aluminum foil there can help, too.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Ever heard of the 'cantenna'?

Mike S

Or, a wi-fi reflector: There are also wok, salad bowl, colander, DBS dish, etc reflectors.

My salad bowl reflector for USB wi-fi dongles: It's not quite parabolic, but close enough to be usable.