Will RF output (transmitter) be the same wattage as audio output?

** Like hell I did.

Try reading it AGAIN !!!

IF you double the voltage into double the load, the CURRENT stays the same.

But double the voltage at the same current is TWICE the power.

Power = V x I

** Any data sheet will quote max screen dissipation - usually only a few watts.

The fine steel wire will glow red or even white if the rating is exceeded.

Then guess what happens ??

If the screen supply voltage is too high, it take excessive current whenever the plate voltage swings low under load.

Data sheets reveal this as an increase in AVERAGE screen current at max signal.

Screen dissipation = V x I average.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Long ago, I once rook some common #14 wire used for home wiring, to jump my electric fence across to another pasture. My intent was to use insulated wire so no one would get shocked. (There were no animals there, so live wires were not needed.)

I quickly learned that the insulation on those wires (rated at 600V), is useless against the 5000V of that fencer. I touched that insulation and got jolted as bad as if I had touched bare wire.

After that, I bought the special insulated wire made for electric fences that is made for even direct burial. That stuff is costly, but it works.

Reply to
oldschool

Try reading it AGAIN !!!

IF you double the voltage into double the load, the CURRENT stays the sam e.

But double the voltage at the same current is TWICE the power.

Power = V x I "

Fine, but I don't know why you expressed it that way. There is still a limi t to how much voltage you can have. Generally, output tubes are not in seri es, they are in parallel. As such the impedance into which they work (deter mined by the transformer of course)must be decreased to realize any increas e in power output.

watts.

The fine steel wire will glow red or even white if the rating is exceeded.

Then guess what happens ?? "

It becomes a triode ? LOL. Not really because the suppressor grid is still in the way.

ver the plate voltage swings low under load. "

This is one of the things I have trouble grasping when it comes to tube tec hnology. I am younger than you and tubes existed only at the beginning of m y career. I adapted to solid state quickly and made a profit...

I wonder some things, like when the plate voltage goes lower than the scree n voltage. Are you saying that the current flows from the screen grid to th e plate ? Or is it pulling from the cathode ? I'd guess cathode but that is just a guess.

There are a few other things about tubes of which I lack knowledge, but I a m only 56 and this is 2017. Like the suppresor grid, how the hell did they even find out they needed that ? I mean, some guys in white lab coats looki ng at a (probably Tektronix) scope saying "There are electrons bouncing bac k from the plate, we can improve this tetrode by adding another grid". How the hell did they figure that out ?

Reply to
jurb6006

ame.

mit to how much voltage you can have. Generally, output tubes are not in se ries, they are in parallel. As such the impedance into which they work (det ermined by the transformer of course)must be decreased to realize any incre ase in power output.

w watts.

.

l in the way.

never the plate voltage swings low under load. "

echnology. I am younger than you and tubes existed only at the beginning of my career. I adapted to solid state quickly and made a profit...

een voltage. Are you saying that the current flows from the screen grid to the plate ? Or is it pulling from the cathode ? I'd guess cathode but that is just a guess.

am only 56 and this is 2017. Like the suppresor grid, how the hell did the y even find out they needed that ? I mean, some guys in white lab coats loo king at a (probably Tektronix) scope saying "There are electrons bouncing b ack from the plate, we can improve this tetrode by adding another grid". Ho w the hell did they figure that out ?

I think a lot of refinements are trial and error, or just plain dumb luck. Maybe some hack was assembling the plate structure and left some support w ires in place instead of cutting them before stuffing the assy in the bottl e and sealing the glass. Make connections to the wrong wires and..

It's the guys like Tesla who could envision things like polyphase AC before anyone else that impress the beejeezus out of me. Edison was a trial and error guy while Tesla was reading blueprints from inside his skull.

Reply to
ohger1s

** You snipped the crucial line.

Looks like you NEVER read it.

There is still a limit to how much voltage you can have.

** Its about 2.5kV for a 6L6GC.

** Massive red herring.

** FFS the wire melts, bits come off and create shorts.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

me.

But double the voltage at the same current is TWICE the power.

Power = V x I "

I had that down before I had pubic hair. The way you worded it was the subj ect of my comment.

According to

you are really p ushing it. But then IIRC, that plate voltage is at quiescence and can go do uble. They were not rated like transistors. A transistor might say "1,000 v olts" and at 1,175.3 volts it shorts out. Seems like they EXPECTED alot of voltage on tubes.

However there are limits on other components of course, and an audio circui t is not quite like an LOPT. (actually that is closer to the OP than our di gression, but then this is SER so that is expected) But to bring up the LOP T, or HOT over here, that does operate in class C. Most RF outputs of cours e operate in class C. That is a whole different world.

Plate dissipation doesn't mean shit, it is just a matter of peak current an d peak voltage, which when they don't happen at the same time are of course much easier to deal with.

I am in the "WTF was I thinking" mode now. At my young age, I guess I could say I have forgotten more about electronics than many know. That is one of the most simple concepts but yet it slipped my mind. Of course when the wi res melt they go out of whack and cause problems. I got too used to transis tors. You can talk about some layer in a MOSFET breaking down and causing s ome weird leakage or some shit, but this is mechanical. The real problem is I must be losing it because I am from a car family.

Really, I have out-trouble shot the factory guys and I can give you two exa mples. One was the "bulletproof" 2.5 L that ran like shit. The books all sa id it had timing gears and therefore would not jump time. Therefore the cra nk sensor was what the book said. But after I saw the shit blowing back thr ough the throttle body I said "Tear down for timing chain", a part that the DEALERSHIP said it did not have. I was right. The dealership, after the gu y paid the diagnostic said "replace engine". Instead my buddy got off with a hundred bucks ort whatever for timing irons.

Another notable thing was my ex-lawyer's pickenup truck. (he got disbarred, go figure) It was some sort of Datsun or something but he wanted to keep i t. Now this guy was no dumbass, as a matter of fact he pretty much built hi s own house. Ad he was not dumb when it came to cars either but this had hi m stumped.

The problem was that at random intervals it would run like shit, and I mean not be able to get out of its own way run like shit.

The problem we traced down was about a Woodruff key i n the crankshaft. He had had the timing belt replaced not long before and apparently (and a mach inist verified this) that apparently the mechanic who did the job lost the original Woodruff key which was metric.

Well he could not get a metric one so put in a USian replacement, which was loose. Over a short time it sheared because it was direct from the crank t o the damper. This system also ran the camshaft. So every once in a while i t went out of phase. It DID take some doing to figure that one out but the guy had no problem with money.

The reason he wanted specifically to keep this little pickup truck had to d o with the suspension. (he was smart enough for that) He had a tow bar on t he front and used to tow it with his camper. He said that was the only vehi cle he could find that could be easily backed up, like a trailer. After I g ot more information on the vehicle I thinki I found out why.

It had linear torsion bar suspension. Unlike those old Dodges that had cros sbar suspension, (which really wasn't all that bad) cars like the Caddilac Eldoado and the Olds Toronado had the torsion bars going front to back. The y had special rims and if you look at the book they were set to (or could b e) zero toe in, zero caster, zero camber.

He told me that this was the only thing he could tow that he could back up with. All other vehicles jacknifed. Start backing up and the steering wheel would go all the way one direction or the other. Not this one. Linear tors ion bar suspension.

And it was a shitcan. My Toronados had that suspension but they were suspen ding a 455 with almost 500 horsepower. This was four cylinder ! But he like d it so we fixed it.

By the time we got to it, the Woodruff key had worn the notch in the crank so badly that a new one would not be tight either, so we brazed it in.

Sorry to be so long but then, this is Usenet. Bottom line, if anyone thinks I'm stupid, I want know what you think of the rest of the people. I mean l ike that broad on the video whose boyfriend asks here "If you are doing 60 miles per hour and drive for an hour, how far have you gone ?". And she cou ld not answer it. In fact I think some asshole somewhere called that video politically incorrect.

God damn.

Reply to
jurb6006