Why do these GFCI receptacles trip?

No. I don't know enough about these things and how they work. I just wanted to find out why they were tripping. Now that it may be I have the answer I'll try it and if new, higher quality GFCIs work then that will be great and the question answered. Eric

Reply to
etpm

We have established that you cannot read for content. No, we do not install GFCI devices throughout the house. Where they are either necessary-by-code or just a good idea, we use the CIRCUIT BREAKER combination device. Then, it becomes that super-fast circuit-breaker.

I do not know if the higher-end devices have built-in snubbers - I do know that we are generally free of nuisance trips. As to motors, our hot-tubs ar e each fed with a 50A device that is about 30% larger than a standard doubl e-pole unit, and feeds to a common neutral- ending that myth. The pump is 1

20V, the blower is 120V, the heater is 240V @ 5,000 watts. So, depending on what is going at any given time, the load is simply not balanced.

All of our devices are damp-location rated, figuring it cannot hurt, and th e premium is minimal.

Kids, grandkids, cats, dogs, and all the parts-and-pieces thereto. Makes th ese sorts of choices pretty basic and pretty obvious.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

there is a good point.

I think there are GFI's that are calibrated for a little higher trip current.

Those might be worth a try.

makolber

Snubbers are the obvious option to try. 0.1uF + 100R in series absorbs hf content so the gfci doesn't see much of it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And in case it isn't obvious, that series combination is across the AC line. Not on the switched side of the load.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Unless the house is still under construction =============================================== DATES GFCI REQUIREMENTS WERE ESTABLISHED ([NEC]:

1971 Receptacles within 15 feet of pool walls 1971 All equipment used with storable swimming pools 1973 All outdoor receptacles 1974 Construction Sites :

bruce2bowser

Our house was built in 1890, with substantial additions added in 1928.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

My experience with Al is that a copper pigtail is required ! Use a wire nut with Al to Cu goop to keep from oxidizing. Cu then goes to the GFCI or switch etc.

Reply to
freenews

Right. Use NoaLox, which is an anti-oxidant compound. Noalox stands for "No Aluminum Oxidation". It goes between copper and aluminum connections to SUPPOSEDLY stop fires.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

** A simple check that a you have snubbed the switch off arc is to monitor the AM band with a radio tuned off station. The noise burst heard via the radio when you press the test button should be much reduced.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I guess GFI's can't be reset by just pushing a button, though. GFCI's can.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

The former is also a breaker, and so must go through the "OFF" position before resetting - as with any breaker. The latter is not, and need only be reset.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33