Why do old trinitron tubes go green?

As per subject. My other old CRTs go dim but all the trinitron ones go green. Is there a simple explanation?

Cheers,

It's not just Trintrons - pretty well all decent CRTs do this. At one time to get a pure red the phosphor used was less sensitive than the others, so that gun was driven the hardest. So aged first - resulting in the green tint.

Later CRTs used a more 'orange' red which was more efficient and didn't exhibit this fault. But wasn't as good as the original when new.

--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's for sure. Anyone remember Zenith's FTM1490? Just stunning red.

Reply to
EDM

Yes. First generation PAL sets in the UK - dating from about '70 - were capable of superb pictures when properly set up. Then the rot set in with PIL tubes. They may have been consistent, but never as good as a decent shadowmask.

I work in TV production, and think the grade 1 monitors used for camera setup use the same NTSC phosphors as all those years ago...

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It sounds like you're speaking of the shadowmask in the past tense as if modern CRTs don't use them anymore!

The 70s tubes were delta gun types and as I remember them, the convergence (both static and dynamic) was downright evil to set up correctly. The PIL tubes only need static convergence (if that!) and don't get mis aligned as easily as the old delta gun tubes did, almost every delta gun set I ever serviced needed convergence adjustment whilst this need became extremely rare with the later PIL tubes.

Reply to
ian field

green does the least work.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Hmmm...

Trinitron is a single-gun tube. I would expect it to go dim rather than having a color shift. If it goes green, maybe by losing the ability to deflect the electron beam from stripe to stripe?

Reply to
mc

1 gun in terms of G1,G2 but 3 separate cathodes that do indeed age at different rates. I spotted a Sony PVM1354 at work today that is going green and will need a new bottle shortly. Another common age symptom is is highlight clipping of a single color, often red. It resembles a 'puddle' of the bad color. Only cure is to replace the tube.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Cool, thanks for the answers. Always wondered, seems obvious when you hear the explanation.

Cheers,

They haven't used the old fluorgermanate red phosphor in decades, early

60's or so? I've never actually seen a CRT that used it, everything in my lifetime has been the newer orangish vanadate phosphor.
Reply to
James Sweet

The green phosphor tends to be the most efficient, if you've ever seen a green fluorescent tube you'll see what I mean, the green is about 2x as bright as the blue and many times brighter than the red.

Reply to
James Sweet

Grade 1 monitors used to setup the pictures from broadcast cameras use a much more 'red' phosphor than TV sets. Decent computer monitors for graphics too. I dunno what it is, but they don't generally go so 'bright' as domestic ones.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Either that or the human eye is most sensitive at the green wavelength.

Reply to
ian field

It is, that's the other part of the equation, but the lumen rating is substantially higher for the green than even for white.

Reply to
James Sweet

Next you're going to tell us how green is brighter than white - which is made up of red, green & blue......................

Reply to
ian field

Depends, if it's a modern trichromatic fluorescent tube then yes, it's made up of red, green and blue phosphors mixed as appropriate to obtain the desired color temperature however the red and blue phosphors are less efficient than the green so the white tube does indeed produce fewer lumens than a green one. If it's one of the older halphosphate phosphors (CW, WW, CWX, WWX, D) then it's a single color phosphor and the emission is much more broad though with an abundance of yellow at least in the case of CW and WW.

Personally I like the 80 series trichromatic tubes, 850 is a nice cool

5000K white with 80+ CRI, 835 is a more neutral 3500K which is a bit more pleasant for living spaces. CWX is a standard halphosphate with the addition of a fluorogermanate phosphor which emits a true deep red which pushes the CRI up to around 90 but the light looks a bit pink to me. There's some other nice mixes out there but many are hard to find.
Reply to
James Sweet

Or there's something about the color modulation that, with aging components, causes the signal to drift toward green. I have an LCD (3" screen) color TV that is about 10 years old. When driven from a composite video input (from a DVD player) it looks fine. But the broadcast signals are starting to look a bit green.

Stupidity kills. But not nearly often enough.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Not sure if NTSC works the same but the PAL system only recovers R-L & B-L from the transmitted carrier, green is recovered by working out its amplitude from the sum of the R & B signals subtracted from the luma signal.

Reply to
ian field

Hmmm, just sort of in relation to this thread: can anyone tell me if its worth repairing my Trinitron? Model: G420S.

The red is pretty much dead now, and the blue sometimes work and sometimes doesn't. For the most part, the green is fine. Here's a video of it a few months ago (it would flash during warming up but would eventually stabilize, but the video shows it's totally crapping it... turning it OFF then ON would fix this):

thebiginbox

It's worth trying to resolder the neck board, that may be all it needs.

Reply to
James Sweet