Who makes RELIABLE modern electrolytic caps?

Oh, no, it's not that simple. Dell was publiclly traded, and made formal notice in their stockholder report one quarter, and that was big news. But, Apple had similar problems (trust me, I own a couple or three), as did everyone else.

The faulty technology was widely rebranded and even given counterfeit labeling, and wasn't purged from inventories for some years.

The bad capacitors weren't significantly less expensive than any others on the market, and turned bad only after a year or so (so incoming tests couldn't catch the problem).

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes, it was not only Dell,but other companies. I and a friend had a mother boards that were bought as boards and were not Dell that the capacitors went bad. Those boards were highly recommended before the capacitor problems showed up. Just lucky it was less than a year and under warrenty. I had a video card or two that had the capacitor problem.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

It dont surprise me it was Dell. A friend had a Dell that was from the early 2000s. It had XP on it. It was so frikkin slow I could literally outtype it, using notepad. She asked me if there was something wrong with it. I changed some settings and that did nothing. Since there was nothing on the computer except a few free games, I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP. Still slow.....

Heck, I had a much older and lower powered computer at the time that was running Windows 98, which was 10X faster than that Dell.

A few years later I got an almost identical Dell computer given to me. I installed XP on it and was shocked to find it was just as slow as the friend's computer. I didn't even bother with it any further. I removed the drives and sent the rest of it to the recycler....

Things may be different with Dell today, but I will never buy any Dell computers, new or used, after that experience.

I strictly use all IBM/Lenovo computers. They last forever. I still have one that works fine and is 20 years old. My newer ones I own are great too.

Reply to
tubeguy

Dell like most PC suppliers have a wide range of models, from cheap to high end.

It's like saying "I'll NEVER buy another Ford product" because of the Pinto, or "I'll NEVER buy another Chevy product" because of the Vega.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0