Where to order Bob Parker ESR meter from USA

I live in Florida and was wondering where the best place to order the Bob Parker ESR meter is. Will shipping take a long time from Australia? I've never had fast shipping from Canada so I don't know if I want to pay more to buy it from

. It is about $10 cheaper from Dick Smith directly.

Does anybody else sell this kit?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I also live in Florida, and have a Bob Parker ESR meter. Bought it from John's Jukes (flippers) several years ago. I don't remember how long the shipping took, but I don't remember it being excessive. I'd expect that delivery from Australia would take somewhat longer than from Canada. Haven't a clue as to how much longer though. If delivery time is that important, why don't you send an email to each vendor and ask about the shipping. Waiting for an intelligent reply might take longer than you want, so I guess it's a toss-up. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.
Reply to
DaveM

As a Canadian EBayer...Canada Post sucks, but that's because the border holds packages for inspection for so long, when tracking a parcel...I've seen my poor little parcels stuck at the border for up to 2WEEKS...which is INSANE! I have purchased and sold from/to Australia, and unless you wish to pay a freakishly large amount for air postage, then you are stuck with shipping by boat...which can take up to a month...or MORE. I sold a item to a Aussie for

35.00(us$), and shipping via air was 75.00, and boat was 58.00(can$). Air shipping wasn't screamingly fast either, as I was quoted 2 weeks...or more, for it. Buying a item was SLOW...as I wanted shipping by boat...which took 2 MONTHS!. Shipping by boat also means NO TRACKING is available!. I'm certain the seller can give you approximate shipping times...but you better not be in too much a hurry.

Reply to
K `Sleep

Or you can try a US product:

K `Sleep

I used Googgle to find a UK vendor that claims to have 10 day international air delivery. E-Leader at

From their web site... Build the kits by yourself and save money: *** US$66.85 *** Factory assembled and tested only US$83.95 Shipment and insurance for overseas sales is US$15.95 (overseas delivery is by air and usually takes less than ten days).

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

If a mute swears using sign language, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
Reply to
DaveM

Ah, our shipping is $12US and we also include a MOV to protect against charged capacitors... and it is the same - Postal Air - which is anything from a few days to 2 weeks (very rare) to the US depending on US Customs.

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call

2 years ago it took 11 days from Australia, and the total charge was under $50. Very good kit and instructions (I made 1 mistake - wrong resistor, and the instructions mentioned my exact error), but I didn't like the solder included.
Reply to
rantonrave

Hi, Last I heard, E-Leader (Monitortest) is down here in Australia. Based on feedback I get from time to time, I'd suggest that your last choice should be to order from Dick Smith Electronics directly. 100% of the customer comments I've heard about John's Jukes and his mail order (& after sales) service have been overwhelmingly positive. I've also only heard good things about E-Leader. I can't honestly say that about Dick Smith's though. Regards Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks for that, Bob. I bought my copy of the DSE ESR meter from John's Jukes several years ago. As I said before, I don't remember that there was any trouble with long delivery time from them, and when I need to buy another unit, I won't hesitate to buy from them again.

Since the OP was looking for other sources, I posted what I found. It's ultimately his decision.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
Reply to
DaveM

My first rule for kits is to chuck away the included solder. Invariably poor quality and usually too thick for my liking. My DSE/Bob_Parker ESR meter kit was no exception.

Reply to
budgie

Bought one a few months ago from John's Jukes online. Arrived in the UK some two weeks later - and no duty to pay. Easy to build and worked first time. Excellent unit.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Including solder suggests it's ok for a first time constructor. I'd say it's not. ;-)

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought I'd educated DSE about the solder years ago, but apparently they've gone back to including the thick stuff. I agree- use your own decent quality thin solder and keep the solder in the kit for drainpipes and other heavy-duty applications!

Regards Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Hmmm, should we mention the quality of the 'free' probes?

John ;-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call
        www.flippers.com              "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."
Reply to
John Robertson

I don't think it would be wise to push your luck too far. They've already discontinued the FBT/LOPT tester in New Zealand and there are noises to the effect that it'll happen in Australia = exports world-wide before that much longer. The bean counters who run DSE might decide that the ESR meter deserves the same fate....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I liked Heathkit solder because its flux smelled like meat.

The thing I've been putting off longest: Fixing the seconds digit of my Heathkit clock. It's in its 4th decade of flickering irregularly and may go out any day now.

Reply to
rantonrave