Where can I buy TAIYo makes good USB cables?

I just bought a solid state external hard drive, but the USB cable that came with it is only about 1 foot long.

I have a USB cable that came with a digital camera I bought years ago that works on the solid state hard drive, and I'd like to get another like it so that I can keep the external hard drive plugged in, and plug in my camera whenever I want. (Rather than unplug the hard drive whenever I want to tranfer photos from the camera to my computer.)

The cable I have now has "cylinders" molded into the cable a few inches from each end. I expect they clean up the signal or something. Does anyone know what these "cylinders" are called and what they do?

The cable I have now has the following markings on it: USB VER 2.0

28 AWG/1P 28 AWG/2C TAIYO 2725 E176097 Underwriters Labs "Recognized Component" mark AWM 80 deg. C 30 V VW-1

I'd like to buy a similar quality cable. Since this cable came with a digital camera, I'm wondering if the best place to buy really high quality USB cables like this would be in a camera store. If someone is paying $1500 for a really good camera, they're not going to cheap out on the cables they use to upload their pictures onto their computer, right?

--
nestork
Reply to

Wrong. There are junk cables, and really bad junk cables. Overpay if you want to, but I rarely pay more than $1 for a USB cable and have never found a bad cable. I've had soe really bad junk shipped with items, though. One place I buy them is Dollar Tree. If I have time I'll buy a batch on Ebay, or if I need a specail like the cables with two "Type A" plugs to supply more current for an external drive.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Any USB cable from a computer or electronics store should be fine. I've never had one that didn't work (including those that came with my cameras).

The "cylinders" are ferrite chokes intended to keep the cables from radiating RF.

A quick comment about external hard drives... Several months ago I got a standard (not SS) external hard drive with USB 3.0 interface from Seagate in exchange for reviewing it. It simply would not work on my computer's front-panel USB 3.0 port -- it jerked and sputtered and beeped.

Seagate told me I should connect to a USB 3.0 port wired directly to the main board -- and that fixed. It seems that USB ports connected to the main board with a cable cannot supply the spec'd maximum current. This should not be a problem with your SSD drive, which has no motor.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The A male to A female cables at Dollar Tree can't supply the current necessary to transfer file from most digital cameras, power external hard drives or power an usb wifi adapter. They work well with a mouse or most thumb drives. Chuck

Reply to
chuck

According to what I read a few months back, male-to-female A cables aren't officially endorsed by the USB gods. Some USB devices aren't able to drive more than the cable supplied with them. * Adding an extension might result in erratic or non-behavior.

  • Are USB cables transmission lines (as Ethernet cables are)? If so, the length shouldn't make much difference.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

OK, if those cylinders are ferrite "chokes" intended to prevent the USB cables from radiating radio frequency waves, the question remains:

For ensuring the most reliable data transmission between solid state hard drive and computer, and vice versa, am I better off buying a cable with those ferrite chokes, better off buying a cable without them, or it don't make a lick of difference if the cable has them or not. (?)

--
nestork
Reply to

Really? I've never had a problem with any of the dozens I've bought there.

My digital camara warns you to use fresh batteries, or an AC adapter, not USB for power. Most external hard drives require more than the original 500mA from USB 1.0 That is why they sell the 'Y' cables with two type 'A 'male plugs and either a type 'B' or mini plug for the device. I don't know of any hard drives that would start & run properly with only 2.5 Watts availible. You WILL have problems if you try to use the cables for the the wrong applications.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, and they make extender cables with built in repeaters to keep the timing correct, and the edges of the waveforms clean.

You want to see something really interesting? Take a look at the 'Grass Valley 8937 SDI/ASI Reclocking Equalizing Distribution Amplifier' They are required in complex digital video processing systems to maintain proper timing throughout a modern studio. If the timing changes due to cable length, it all goes to hell. The card cages hold ten crds, and have a built in web server to allow you to monitor & control the selected cards.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have an Olympus DSLR, 2 Kodak bridge cameras and a Concord digital camera; none of which will transfer files with a Dollar Tree usb cable but work fine with more expensive cables. I have 2 external hard drives which will power up and work fine with other M to F extension cables but not the Dollar Tree. Chuck

Reply to
chuck

Sorry, but my experience has been exactly 180° out of phase.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why not buy the cheap cable and compare transfer speeds between your Digital Camera USB cable and the cheap USB cable. Then you can tell us if there is a problem with the cheap USB cable. If it doesn't work well, return it and get your $1.99 + tax back.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx