Whats wrong with todays tv video ?

I've 2 perfectly good analogue TVs which I see no point in ditching in favour of some digital TV. The impetus for me, to get a free to air digibox, was a TV channel was going to do a long feature on a recent artist Constable exhibition. That low power channel , locally, on analogue is just snow with a hint of colour. The digitally decoded version of that channel, at first sight, was full colour and no snow. But viewing closeups of Constable's work in that programme and of course all the other digital channels the same shortcomings in the coding/decoding of the video info. In artistic terms I belive its called "local colour" , in effect, a restricted palette range of colour. Instead of a myriad of green hues you could expect from the analogue system there was such limiting of range that it makes watching anything other than cartoons very noticeably degraded.

N Cook

Congratulations ! You've just discovered the great myth of the 'perfect' digital picture ...

Digital terrestrial TV is NOT about better pictures or more channel choice, it is primarily about ways to reduce spectrum useage so that this rotten government have got more to sell off to the mobile phone operators. Satellite, on the other hand, is a whole different matter. There is plenty of bandwidth available there, so very high quality transmissions can take place.

If you want to see REALLY bad digital artifacts, go look at a Freeview box, connected to a plasma or LCD TV. Digital + digital = ( crap ) x 2 ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Just *this* government? IMHO, the rot really set in in UK TV after the last lot auctioned off the ITV franchises - thus setting the precedent that revenue raising was more important than the quality of the service. Just about everything else led on from there.

'Can' being the operative word. Most of what I've seen is equally as bad.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:03:42 +0000, Arfa Daily Has Frothed:

I agree. Time Warner's digital cable has to deliver not only the bandwidth for regular and HD TV but VoIP and high speed internet up top 4mbps. My girlfriend has cable, I have DirecTV we both have big screen teles. The video compression is very noticable on hers whereas on mine it's hardly noticable if at all. The artifacts on cable are much larger and ragged while on sat they are smooth and gradient.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

It's not all about broadcast spectrum. It's about DVD recorders, VCR's and Hollywood's money. The entire switch to digital broadcasting has been pushed by Hollywood so that we have to BUY all our video. HDCP "Broadcast Flag" anyone? No you can't record HD content, because they want to sell it to you. That's what the push for digital is about right there. Analog they can't control copying. Digital they THINK they can. They are trampling over our Fair Use rights roughshod. To make a back up of a DVD for a kid so your kid won't scratch the original to pieces is illegal in the US now due to the DMCA, and so will be making a tape of that HBO broadcast if you have to crack the copyright protection. Do a little research. It's all about greedy bastards wanting to take more of your money.

Jammy

Reply to
ampdoc

Good question . In my eyes a decent picture is just fine . I do alot of `off air`` watching with a good old pull up antenna on the tv set . If the picture is slightly snowy i dont care , i grew up with that . A nice clear picture is nice too .

I could care less about digital high def tv pictures .. its just not that important .

Reply to
Ken G.

It`s not all about broadcast spectrum. It's about DVD recorders, VCR's

Why did they make these units record in the first place ? In the 60`s and 70`s we didnt have these . None of our friends had them . We were out playing after an hour of morning cartoons . Parents were only watching tv for a couple hours in the evening . If they make watching tv hard enough it might be a good thing !

Reply to
Ken G.

Good question . In my eyes a decent picture is just fine . I do alot of `off air`` watching with a good old pull up antenna on the tv set . If the picture is slightly snowy i dont care , i grew up with that . A nice clear picture is nice too .

I could care less about digital high def tv pictures .. its just not that important .

BRAVO KEN! You hit the nail on the head. No wonder this world (more-so the U.S.) is as it is. Too much arm chair excersize.

When we were kids, we couldn't wait to go outside! Unless it was raining - then it may have been a bit of a rant. I spent more time playing pick up sports, fishing, roaming the local woods or creeks for critters, looking for and doing odd jobs to earn some cash, doing errands for my parents - than watching TV. If I wasn't doing that, then I was reading books to "learn" from.

Yes, it IS nice to have a nice clear picture - BUT - as a recent commercial uses the words of a famous song and says - "you can't always get what you want". Hey, TV is TV. Cable or rabbit ears - you turn it on - watch what you want - and get away from it afterwards! It wasn't designed to be stuck watching it 24/7 - unless of course - you have no choice. I don't know many who do NOT have a choice.

Today, I seen a preview of a show designed to pay big stakes for "Video Games". Sheesh, no wonder this country is getting so freaking lazy. So it now gives our kids more incentive to "sit" and watch a "screen". YIKES!

Technology is great but can also be ruination and at the rate we're going - the others will create the ruination for us. They produce these stupid things - our people get sucked into it and whalah! They'll catch us literally by the seat of our pants being most will be sitting - and watching - A SCREEN!

What a waste to let life slip by like that. MY only use of TV - is to watch as I fall asleep, watch the news during lunch or dinner, "listening" to it while busy on the computer with my work or watch during a break or folding laundry on my couch (being a bachelor). But it sure doesn't rule my life! Black and white, snow or clear - as long as I can see "something" - I'm happy. IF all I could watch, is the news - that is ok. Most of the new crap isn't worth watching - anyway.

Lou

Reply to
Radiosrfun

digibox,

Constable

with

shortcomings

system

than

This topic is discussed in alt.tv.tech.hdtv. Be sure to mention the modulation used for the digital signal.

Reply to
T Shadow