Whats wrong with my Telly then????

I bought a new Ferguson FTV210N 21" television and it seems the picture is too big vertically I eventually found a 'pot' (potentiometer) which seems to control the picture hight but even at maximum adjust the picture is still too (big slightly). (There didn't seem to a similar pot to do the same thing horizontally, incidently, is this normal?)

Any ideas as to what is the problem???

I mean surely adding a bit more resistance would fix it??

Initially I though the problem might be 'fixable' in the TV's service mode (is it indeed has one) but the pot controls it.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Albert Grennock: You are on the right track BUT do NOT modify the circuitry with changing resistance values. More than likely the problem you are seeing is due to faulty, dry, or high ESR electrolytics in the vertical deflection circuitry. If you do not have an ESR meter then you must just replace suspected caps ..... or..... TAKE it to a service shop for what should be a fairly inexpensive repair. Do not wait until it develops further problems or the repair price will be higher. Get a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision.

--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

Yes, I already told you what it might be, Albert. Weren't the replies in your last thread on the exact same subject good enough? You were given good and sensible advice, especially about staying out of service menus and not making adjustments. Don't ignore it unless you want a whole lot more grief.

Maybe, just like fitting a 2,000,000 gallon expansion tank to your car will 'fix' a radiator leak. Something is clearly wrong, I'd expect some components to fail fairly soon, probably after you do something catastrophic and void the warranty.

You said it would be a hassle to take it back to where you bought it. If you aren't happy, and you cannot source the fault yourself, then that's what you need to do, like it or not. If you really cannot get back to the shop, try contacting the manufacturer. Either that or get it fixed locally at your own cost.

If you do decide on the most sensible course of action and get a refund/repair under warranty, don't be surprised if they refuse on the grounds that you've tinkered with it.

Go on Albert, use the warranty, that's what they're there for!

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

I like to get a variety of opinions, the fault could be a caused by a number of things. It might simply be that a component, resistor/pot is slightly out of spec.

Well as it turned out that adjustment is probably not in the service menu (assuming it has one) anyway as there is a pot to do the job so that advice was not much help anyway really. As I explained it is very unlikely I could have or would have done any damage using any service menu anyway, I think it would have been fairly obvious whether I would be able to use the facility safely or not. Also even if I did break it I would just say take it back to the shop and say that it was like that when it came out of the box, so I had nothing to lose by trying. No more immoral than selling a faulty set in the first place.

will

catastrophic

Might be the radiator cap is just not screwed on properly, any how your idea would probably need new engine to shift the extra weight.

you

you

own

It doesn't have a warenty as such, just my basic consumer rights to return faulty goods, which I will be exercising and getting my money back. They will not be able to prove I have tinkered with it anyway, I don't consider taking the back off it tinkering with it.

Means cost time and effort taking it back, I doubt they will refund that, I will consider myself lucky to get my money back.

It was not the model I wished to buy anyway due to their instore trickery ie putting it on display with boxed models of a different model below it, which show the low morality of the store selling it, which is why I expect to have trouble getting a refund.

However if I do have any trouble getting a refund I will get a refund the technicality that it is described as a 21" set when infact the screen size is much closer to 20", a clear misrepresention which under UK law entitles me to a refund. Infact I would probably be better off not mentioning the other fault at all. So three faults in all, mis-sold, mis reprentated and faulty - not bad going eh? You would think a store like that would go bust however they have a virtual monopoly in the market so they can see whatever crap they like.

The store is Currys by the way part of the Dixons group

when you go to an out of town shopping centre they own all bar one of the shops selling electrical goods, pretty shocking really as far as competition goes. This kind of virtual monopoly should be illegal, and would be if out politicians had not failed us.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

circuitry.

The product is only a few days old so I will be getting my money back (hopefully). They can have it repaired it they wish but I imagine it will be dumped in a skip. They probably only cost £30 to make anyway, the other £100 being 'overheads'.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Reply to
kip

Thanks for your input sunshine!!

in

Reply to
Albert Grennock

^^^

Warranty? Replacement by the retailer? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Tom ! The Guy is thick as two short planks .... Forget about him .

Reply to
kip

Which still leaves me with plenty more brains than you :O)

Reply to
Albert Grennock

The product is only a few days old so I will be getting my money back (hopefully). They can have it repaired it they wish but I imagine it will be dumped in a skip. They probably only cost £30 to make anyway, the other £100 being 'overheads

You opened your new TV, adjusted the circuit, and now you want your money back? If the store were mine I'd throw you and the TV out the door.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Or you were hoping someone would post what you wanted to hear. It isn't going to happen.

And? That would still not be something you should interfere with.

*You* mentioned service menus, you were given sound advice about service menus. What's the problem?

Wrong. This was explained to you.

Yes- it is obvious, you're right! If you'd been let loose in a service menu, you'd have made things worse.

You have some evidence that the shop knew it was faulty? Have you any idea how many TVs the Dixons/Currys group sells in a day? Do you expect them to check every single one?

Fantastic.

Yes you do.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a manufacturer's warranty as well. Either way, so what?

You're kidding? Few if any manufacturers would honour a warranty in such circumstances. It would be a reasonable assumption by the manufacturer that if you went inside, you 'tinkered' in some way.

Of course not.

Quite, judging by your attitude so far. For most people, it would be a case of walking into Dixons, saying,

'I wonder if you could help me, I bought this TV x number of days ago. It is not the model I chose, and it has a fault. I have returned it in the condition I received it in. could you please exchange it or give me a refund.'

Upon which, the consumer would be leaving with a shiny new TV or a refund.

For you, I suspect it won't be such a pleasant experience!

I don't think you can blame the store 100% for that.

Wrong. CRTs are measured from outside corner edge to corner edge of the actual CRT assembly before fitting to the TV, not the viewable area like TFTs. A 21" CRT will correctly measure 20" or less diagonally viewable space. That's the way it's always been. If you try that approach, they'll laugh you out of the store.

Then they would be within their rights to tell you where to go, and have a good chuckle.

If it were true, but it isn't.

Monopoly? Dixons/Currys do not have a monopoly. In any case, if they had a monopoly, by what logic would they go bust?!

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Typical symptoms of a Wanker.. Piss with the TV then take it back, I guess it takes all kinds.

Reply to
kip

door.

No I am sorry you have got that ever so slightly wrong, they sold be a faulty product and I am entitled to and will get my money back. The fact that I opened it up in a attempt to fix the problem is neither here nor there. Had I been able to fix it at my *own* expense it would have saved *them* the cost of a refund. As it is they will have to cough up.

No doubt if you owned the store you could think up thousands of other reasons to refuse a refund, and continue to sell cr*p to the general public at a handsome profit.

Any attempt by you to assault me would have resulted in you receiving the kind of pasteing the office of fair trading should have given you a long time ago.

Crooks like you shoud be barred from the retail business.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Get back under the bridge.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

in

spec.

menu

menu,

and

by

Of course, any responsiible retailer would, try sell an untested TV on ebay and see what kind of bids you get. These people are no better then crooks and con artists.

If

what

your

Most of the warrenties are little more than a con to convince you you have less rights then you actually have. You can expect a television to be fault free for at least 5 years, not the one year in their guarantee. The crooks selling them want you to think otherwise. All those 3 and 5 year guarantees they *sell* you are a con as legally you would expect such products to last that long anyway. It's just another method for those seedy crooked retailers to screw more money out of you. If I had my way the con artists pushing such worthless guarentees would be spend a good 10 years in jail for their trouble, like any other common thief.

that

case

is

In which case they would refuse a refund because they will say its your fault you bought the wrong model.

It was already unpleasent finding the TV was faulty and will be more hassle having to return it, I would be better off going to a small claims court and recovering the costs and inconvienience of returning it as well. That might ensure they don't sell shoddy good in future.

I think I can. It wouldn't have happened if I owned the store, I can assure you of that, no customer would leave my store with a wrong or faulty product, I would ensure my staff were trained and did more than stand in groups chatting about f all.

screen

I think you are joking, they might laugh me out of the store but I would be laughing them out of a small claims court when it ruled in my favour. They would be laughing even less when they picked up their legal bill.

Legal arguments like "Well we have always been crooked conmen, and people should realise they will be cheated" don't tend to go down very well in a decent court of law.

I doubt they will be chuckling with a broken jaw.

Maybe someone might burn all their stores down, use your imagination.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Saying it does not make it so. You voided your warranty by opening the TV up- it's that simple. If you feel this is not the case, be sure to tell the shop you opened it up and attempted to fix it, see what happens.

It doesn't work like that. You are simply stating your own personal opinions on how you think the world works. It is a fantasy, get real.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Are you insane or just trolling? If you doubt how CRTs are measured, go into any store and ask them, or write to the manufactirers and ask them.

In fact, start a new thread on this NG and ask the question, see what responses you get.

Not conmen, this is the way it's done, by all manufacturers AFAIK. It stemmed from the technical identification/part number of the CRTs as they come from the manufacturer. The diagonal size of the entire CRT formed part of the part number.

Some manufacturers might point this discrepency out, others may not. Personally I feel it is a bad way to measure CRTs, and misleading, but that's not the point. For a single manufacturer to change to actual viewable space measuring, they would have to sell larger CRTs than the competition for the same money, while few people would probably notice the 1" or so increase.

It would be nice if all manufacturers could agree on the change, but it won't likely happen now- CRTs are near the end of their life.

Oh for heaven's sake.

You're in laa-laa land, and it appears I've been unknowingly taking advantage of your incapacity. How callous of me. I promise I won't do it again ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Hi...

The OP should try this incredibly simple test. Go and get an

8 x 10 enlargement made of his favorite photograph. Take it home, measure it, and the piece pf paper will be virtually 8 inches by 10 inches.

Now get another made, this time have it mounted in a beautiful frame. Take that one home, measure the visible portion of the paper. Still 8 x 10? Or is some of it covered by the matte or the frame?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel