What Type of Solid State Relay to use with my Temperature Controller

I have a Watlow F4 Temperature controller (full Part No. F4PH-CAAA001RG). I want to connect a solid state relay to its "Switched DC" output so I get zero crossing switching but I'm unsure if this requires a SSR with random or Zero Crossing switching. The manual doesn't help:

The F4 manual does mention "Burst Fire" which uses zero crossing detection, so I suspect that the switched DC output can drive either type of SSR so long as the controller and SSR are connected to the same mains supply so the phases are matched.

Or have I misunderstood what's going on?

Thanks,

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim

According to the product brochure,

the controller you have is rated 100-240V AC/DC and has one open-collector DC output, with an update rate of only 20Hz.

If you wanted the controller to detect zero-crossing, apparently you would need a different controller, the one with the solid-state relay output.

To use the controller you have, I would suggest connecting a solid-state relay with its own zero-crossing detection.

Reply to
spam

I don't even know what their ramp and soak mean. When I use a linear ramp controller, I feed the DC control voltage to a Mosfet to control voltage linearly.

Yes, a SSR with zero crossing turn on at the zero point, and off at the zero point.

We use linear ramps so it has no switching noise.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Thanks folks. I've also just worked out that the P in F4P (as apposed to an S or D) means this isn't a ramping controller as I'd assumed. It seems Watlow like to keep their guidance cryptic for some reason!

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim