What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

Hi, I'm a newbie here.
My 14 year old broke our 75" Samsung LCD tv last week by slipping on a remo
te he didn't put away and hitting his head into it.  The extended warranty
doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it.  We saved for a long time to s
plurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago.  Ouch.  The glass is fine, bu
t when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered in th
e top left corner.  Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on what pa
rts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a dump
ster?  If so, what's the possible resale in parts?  Not worth it for, say,
$50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more than that
.  Advice/Opinions appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

The microprism plastic "diffuser" sheets make fantastic sci-fi rainbow
lamp-shade material. Assuming LED backlights, shave the LEDs off the
heatsink material with scalpel/blade,most will survive once you get the
knack, for a lifetime supply of SM white LEDs for festoon lamp bodges or
whatever.

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?
Look up on Ebay using the model number off of the back.  Get a feel for wha
t most of the listings are asking for the boards.  Add all the averages tog
ether and cut the total by say 25%.  Post the entire set of boards and cabl
es for that amount and see what happens.  You can also start the "bidding"
at 30% off of the lowered price and see where the competitive bidding gets
up to as an option as well.  In any case, the entire set should fit into a
large flat rage USPS box (approx $13) which will make shipping easier for y
ou too.

Dan

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?
Maybe it can be a magnetic side effect.
The solution is to de-magnetize the screen.

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

remote he didn't put away and hitting his head into it.  The extended warra
nty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it.  We saved for a long time
to splurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago.  Ouch.  The glass is fine
, but when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered i
n the top left corner.  Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on wha
t parts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a
dumpster?  If so, what's the possible resale in parts?  Not worth it for, s
ay, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more than
that.  Advice/Opinions appreciated.

lol, sorry to laugh, but..degaussing? yea, on your 1960 RCA color TV but no
t on a LCD TV...
There could be side effects from very near by magnetic devices (which cause
 blue-greenish hues in the picture), such as speakers, in which case, move
them at least 2 feet away.
The stream of wrong information in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

a remote he didn't put away and hitting his head into it.  The extended war
ranty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it.  We saved for a long tim
e to splurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago.  Ouch.  The glass is fi
ne, but when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered
 in the top left corner.  Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on w
hat parts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in
a dumpster?  If so, what's the possible resale in parts?  Not worth it for,
 say, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more tha
n that.  Advice/Opinions appreciated.
not on a LCD TV...
se blue-greenish hues in the picture), such as speakers, in which case, mov
e them at least 2 feet away.

English is not Look's first language.  He probably misunderstood the OP, pl
us Nick's mention of "rainbow effect" for the diffuser sheets in his post m
ay have added to the confusion.

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

Nope, magnetic fields do not affect LCD TVs. (and LED TVs ARE LCD TVs with LED backlights)

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

Have you called your insurer?  This may be covered.  On the other hand,
making a claim could raise your insurance.

Jon

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?
Downtoitness:

See if a place called Shopjimmy is still in business, they might buy the bo
ards. you unscrew the boards and unplug them, put them in a box with some p
adding and they send you a check. At least they used to. And I don't know a
bout you but if I need a board for one and I know one was working and the s
creen got broken, that is a pretty prime part. But they won't trust you and
 you can't send them the whole thing.

You could maybe sell on eBay but that is not all it is cracked up to be. Fi
rst of all unless you sell all the time you have to wait a month for your m
oney, and you might not even get it. The guy could say it doesn't work and
send you back his bad one and demand a refund and eBay will give it to him.
 I shit you not.

You paid $1,80 for a TV ? How big is this thing ?

Re: What to salvage from a large LCD tv?
boards. you unscrew the boards and unplug them, put them in a box with some
 padding and they send you a check. At least they used to. And I don't know
 about you but if I need a board for one and I know one was working and the
 screen got broken, that is a pretty prime part. But they won't trust you a
nd you can't send them the whole thing.
First of all unless you sell all the time you have to wait a month for your
 money, and you might not even get it. The guy could say it doesn't work an
d send you back his bad one and demand a refund and eBay will give it to hi
m. I shit you not.

The problem with ebay is that people are all internet technicians.  They ge
t a dead condition, it must be the power supply.

Well, it *could* be the power supply, it could also be the main, the tcon,
the wifi receiver, the control button board, shorted display, LED drive boa
rd or bad LED in display, or even the IR receiver.  I had one several years
 ago that had a shorted speaker that shut down the whole TV. Could also be
a resistive harness or ribbon cable.

So ebay customer buys it, doesn't fix it, claims the board you sent is bad.
  Paypal will refund his money.

Shopjimmy is still in business, but I believe they're only buying certain b
oards that are in demand.  Doesn't hurt to call.

Site Timeline