What to salvage from a large LCD tv?

Hi, I'm a newbie here. My 14 year old broke our 75" Samsung LCD tv last week by slipping on a remo te he didn't put away and hitting his head into it. The extended warranty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it. We saved for a long time to s plurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago. Ouch. The glass is fine, bu t when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered in th e top left corner. Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on what pa rts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a dump ster? If so, what's the possible resale in parts? Not worth it for, say, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more than that . Advice/Opinions appreciated. Thanks Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

The microprism plastic "diffuser" sheets make fantastic sci-fi rainbow lamp-shade material. Assuming LED backlights, shave the LEDs off the heatsink material with scalpel/blade,most will survive once you get the knack, for a lifetime supply of SM white LEDs for festoon lamp bodges or whatever.

Reply to
N_Cook

Look up on Ebay using the model number off of the back. Get a feel for wha t most of the listings are asking for the boards. Add all the averages tog ether and cut the total by say 25%. Post the entire set of boards and cabl es for that amount and see what happens. You can also start the "bidding" at 30% off of the lowered price and see where the competitive bidding gets up to as an option as well. In any case, the entire set should fit into a large flat rage USPS box (approx $13) which will make shipping easier for y ou too.

Dan

Reply to
abrsvc

Maybe it can be a magnetic side effect. The solution is to de-magnetize the screen.

Reply to
Look165

remote he didn't put away and hitting his head into it. The extended warra nty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it. We saved for a long time to splurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago. Ouch. The glass is fine , but when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered i n the top left corner. Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on wha t parts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a dumpster? If so, what's the possible resale in parts? Not worth it for, s ay, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more than that. Advice/Opinions appreciated.

lol, sorry to laugh, but..degaussing? yea, on your 1960 RCA color TV but no t on a LCD TV... There could be side effects from very near by magnetic devices (which cause blue-greenish hues in the picture), such as speakers, in which case, move them at least 2 feet away. The stream of wrong information in this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Reply to
three_jeeps

Have you called your insurer? This may be covered. On the other hand, making a claim could raise your insurance.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

a remote he didn't put away and hitting his head into it. The extended war ranty doesn't cover a kid's head smashing into it. We saved for a long tim e to splurge on the $1,800 cost about 18months ago. Ouch. The glass is fi ne, but when you turn it on, the LCD is clearly and significantly shattered in the top left corner. Is there any Youtube video or other guidance on w hat parts to try to salvage (and resell on Ebay) before I just put this in a dumpster? If so, what's the possible resale in parts? Not worth it for, say, $50, but I would consider salvaging parts if possible to get more tha n that. Advice/Opinions appreciated.

not on a LCD TV...

se blue-greenish hues in the picture), such as speakers, in which case, mov e them at least 2 feet away.

English is not Look's first language. He probably misunderstood the OP, pl us Nick's mention of "rainbow effect" for the diffuser sheets in his post m ay have added to the confusion.

Reply to
John-Del

Nope, magnetic fields do not affect LCD TVs. (and LED TVs ARE LCD TVs with LED backlights)

Reply to
Jeff Urban

Downtoitness:

See if a place called Shopjimmy is still in business, they might buy the bo ards. you unscrew the boards and unplug them, put them in a box with some p adding and they send you a check. At least they used to. And I don't know a bout you but if I need a board for one and I know one was working and the s creen got broken, that is a pretty prime part. But they won't trust you and you can't send them the whole thing.

You could maybe sell on eBay but that is not all it is cracked up to be. Fi rst of all unless you sell all the time you have to wait a month for your m oney, and you might not even get it. The guy could say it doesn't work and send you back his bad one and demand a refund and eBay will give it to him. I shit you not.

You paid $1,80 for a TV ? How big is this thing ?

Reply to
Jeff Urban

boards. you unscrew the boards and unplug them, put them in a box with some padding and they send you a check. At least they used to. And I don't know about you but if I need a board for one and I know one was working and the screen got broken, that is a pretty prime part. But they won't trust you a nd you can't send them the whole thing.

First of all unless you sell all the time you have to wait a month for your money, and you might not even get it. The guy could say it doesn't work an d send you back his bad one and demand a refund and eBay will give it to hi m. I shit you not.

The problem with ebay is that people are all internet technicians. They ge t a dead condition, it must be the power supply.

Well, it *could* be the power supply, it could also be the main, the tcon, the wifi receiver, the control button board, shorted display, LED drive boa rd or bad LED in display, or even the IR receiver. I had one several years ago that had a shorted speaker that shut down the whole TV. Could also be a resistive harness or ribbon cable.

So ebay customer buys it, doesn't fix it, claims the board you sent is bad. Paypal will refund his money.

Shopjimmy is still in business, but I believe they're only buying certain b oards that are in demand. Doesn't hurt to call.

Reply to
John-Del