What The Frell Happened?

A few days ago I set my VCR/DVD player to recorrd some program and the next morning, when the VCR came on, the door to the DVD player came open with a scream, the tray came out, and it would not close! I eventually got it shut, but later when I went to play a DVD, there was no image on the screen and the DVD part seems to be as dead as the dodo. Does anyone know what happened? Why my DVD player self- destructed?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

More than likely there is a mechanical failure in the mechunism for loading the disk.

There is also a possibility that there is a defecive sensor, and thus the mechunism is out of sequence.

Open the case of the VCR/DVD machine. Check to see if the DVD drive is a standard IDE or SATA type drive. If it is, most of the off the shelf DVD writers will work in these machines. You can buy a new DVD drive and mount it in as like with a PC.

As for these drives they are not supported for service.

For most of the home type consumer electronics, unless the unit is a very expensive type there will be no service support. During the warranty the customer is given a complete new unit.

Jerry G.

--
Ron wrote:
> A few days ago I set my VCR/DVD player to recorrd some program and the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.

Things aren't built the way they used to be are they ?

Some years ago I bought a VCR for about £50 just before VCRs became virtually obsolete. I wanted a cheap 'backup'. It worked OK but lasted about 3 years before packing up with a tape stuck inside.

***20*** years ago I bought my first VCR for ~ £400. It was a reasonably high spec model with an LCD remote but there were higher spec models. It still works, albeit the motor's a bit noisy now and the audio head's a bit worn and you can hear some wow and flutter but it refuses to die.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Power glitch/spike? Did you unplug it for 5 minutes to see if would reset?

Reply to
Deke

Made in China.

Reply to