What's the latest in Desoldering gadgets?

Thats right, no center tap.... Back to the drawing board :)

Too bad you abandoned that transformer. You should have rented a skid loader or farm tractor with a loader. My 1959 farm tractor, which is small compared to modern ones, lifts round bales of hay all the time. They weight anywhere from 650 lbs to 1800 lbs. It struggles on those

1800 lb ones, but a larger tractor could easily handle a ton or more. (I dont buy or make bales larger than 1500 lbs).

I thought that same thing, but they apparently can and did handle that abuse, The Greatful Dead,"Wall of Sound". Was entirely run from Mcintosh MC3500, Tube amps, and the MC2300 solid state amps, having a total of around 28,000 watts. Not the intended use, but they held up....

Im not real familiar with transmitters, but I know that tube is used in Ham transmitters and is similar to a 6L6 (or am I thinking 6LQ6?).

Reply to
oldschool

The 6L6 was seen in ham transmitters quite a bit.

But I think you're thinking of the 807 (and there was also the 1629, I think I got that number right) which was similar, and there was a long supply of them in the surplus market well after WWII.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

The 807 and 1625 were very similar. The 807 had a 6.3 volt filiment and the 1625 had a 12.6. They were cheap on the war suplus market after WW2. Still plenty of then around up to atleast 1975 or so. Many home built ham transmitters used them. They were also used in some high power audio equipment.

Many of the commercial built transmitters of ham and public service started using the 6146 series of tubes as they were not that expensive and would go to about 200 MHz with no big problem.

When color TV sets started using the 6LQ6, 6JE6 and a few other sweep tubes they were very inexpensive compaired to other power tubes and could put out a lot of power for the cost in SSB usage that was becomming popular on the ham bands.

During that time many ham transceivers put out about 100 watts and it took a pair of the 6146 or 6xx6 series of tubes. As the TV sets started going all solid state and the 6xx6 series quit being made in large quanties the price started going up. About that time transistors that could put out the same power were comming down and would work off 12 volts DC were comming down in price. That killed off the market for those tubes in new equipment.

Now transistors and othe solid state devices that can handle 500 and

1000 watts at RF are comming out, it is starting to kill off the market for tubes in that power range. Very few tubes are being made in the US now,and lots of replacements for the older tubes are comming from Russia, and China.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

We would have needed a crane to remove it from the pad. The people I moved it for were convinced that it had PCB based oil in it, even though it was built after that was NLA. They paid me to move the transmitter for another local station, for parts for the same model. They paid $150 for the old transmitter. That transformer was worth over $5,000, used.

Not if they tried to run them at full output.

The 6L6 was a metal cased audio tube that was a slightly higher powered version of the 6V6.

Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nope, this was at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. Yes, there were certainly some people tripping on various substances, but I was not. I can't prove it was an AM broadcast modulator, but I can't imagine any other package that would look like that and be available as a unit. There was even an article in the local paper about that event, and how the band had all their equipment confiscated for non-payment, and had to scramble for gear the day of the show. I seem to recall Bob Heil came to the rescue and loaned them this equipment.

Only, me, I assure you! I protect my hearing, that's why I still have most of it.

yeah, they have funny names for EVERYTHING that was invented since 1776. side curtains (side windows) bonnet (hood) accumulator (car battery) boot (trunk) gear change (gear shift) and there are plenty more...

Well, I'm no expert, but apparently the modulation transformer does a pretty fair job of being an audio output transformer. I'm guessing there may be some change to the output winding to lower the output impedance, or else you just wire a bunch of speakers in series. And, don't ANYBODY touch that rig while it is running, it could be lethal!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

THere is an incident like that. SOmething happened to the equipment, I can't remember what, but since Bob Heil was local, he fixed things up for them. Maybe that's the time with the Electrovoice VOice of the Theatre speaker I think I mentioned. I've definitely read this story somewhere, and I think it was how he got connected to the band.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

This one gets me.

What we call a Horse Trailer, (or livestock trailer), they call them a FLOAT. That's just plain weird....

Reply to
oldschool

At work there was an engineer from England. He wanted a torch in an area that was hard to get to. Two mechanics spent about an hour dragging an acelene and oxygen torch to the area. He asked what that was for and they said it was what he wanted. Found out he really wanted a flashlight. That is called a torch where he came from.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery