What makes this happen on a projection tv?

I've got a projection tv here with the blue gun having trouble.

It seems that theres some kind of curl.. or dip in the top. the bottom lines up perfectly fine. Is this some kind of yoke problem? I can't imagine what else would affect a tube like that..

The problem follows the tube when i switch the color inputs or the yoke connectors..

Here's a picture to explain it better.

Thanks for any help, Nick

Reply to
Nick

Convergence amp problems. Are you qualified from a technical standpoint? A knowledgeable type could probably repair this himself, but an average do-it-yourself-er would probably just ugly up the board so badly I wouldn't want to even suggest they try it.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

there are 2 or 3 large ICs on a heat sink in there - maybe 2 1/2" x 1 1/2 inches - they will be in the STK series the blue convergence amp is bad and there may be a few very low value 1 or 2 watt resistors that failed as well - they will often look burnt or discolored

As Mark Z so accurately pointed out if you cant solder well and are not familiar with component level repair, this is not a job for you to do yourself - the pads under those 18 and 20 pin ICs are generally small and thin and its easy to damage them and their traces taking out the old IC

depending on your area you can expect to pay between 200 and 400 dollars to get that done in home, assuming you use a professional outfit rather than the garage tech - I am in the Albany NY area and I get 365 for the job

one suggestion - if that is a Phillips Sony or Hitachi TV make VERY VERY sure that you do not use generic parts - insist on the manufacturer's version of the part and expect to pay 25 to 35 for it, including shipping - this is especially critical if you expect the job to last more than a few weeks - and it will also make the re-alignment afterwards much easier

--

Art

"Nick"  wrote in message
> I've got a projection tv here with the blue gun having trouble.
>
> It seems that theres some kind of curl.. or dip in the top. the bottom
> lines up perfectly fine. Is this some kind of yoke problem? I can't
> imagine what else would affect a tube like that..
>
> The problem follows the tube when i switch the color inputs or the yoke
> connectors..
>
> Here's a picture to explain it better.
> http://home.comcast.net/~slicknick1981/html/monitor.jpg
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Nick

Reply to
Art M - Artfromny

Since this follows the tube/yoke, I do not agree with the others on this (unless the chip they describe is part of the yoke assembly).

At first, I assumed you had a mechanical allignment issue where the blue tube is set too low and you are alligning above the linear region of the raster. The cure for this is to adjust the tube to point higher on the screen and re converge.

The correct proceedure is to center the raster on each tube, looking into the lens, then adjust each tube mechanically for best on screen overlay coverage, then proceed to electrical convergence.

The nature of the whip in your photo is curious and could be caused by a shifted linearity magnet, some stray magnetic field or a cap within the yoke failing. Check the rings on the neck end of the yoke, note their position and swing them around a bit to see if it addresses the problem. Look for missing or shifted bias magnets. As a last resort, open the yoke housing and start replacing the caps inside, clean any spark gaps etc.

Tom Maguire

better.http://home.comcast.net/~slicknick1981/html/monitor.jpg

Reply to
TMI

Since this follows the tube/yoke, I do not agree with the others on this (unless the chip they describe is part of the yoke assembly).

At first, I assumed you had a mechanical alignment issue where the blue tube is set too low and you are aligning above the linear region of the raster. The cure for this is to adjust the tube to point higher on the screen and re converge.

The correct procedure is to center the raster on each tube, looking into the lens, then adjust each tube mechanically for best on screen overlay coverage, then proceed to electrical convergence.

The nature of the whip in your photo is curious and could be caused by a shifted linearity magnet, some stray magnetic field or a cap within the yoke failing. Check the rings on the neck end of the yoke, note their position and swing them around a bit to see if it addresses the problem. Look for missing or shifted bias magnets. As a last resort, open the yoke housing and start replacing the caps inside, clean any spark gaps etc.

TMI

better.http://home.comcast.net/~slicknick1981/html/monitor.jpg

Reply to
TMI

There is some good info for DIYers for convergence output repairs at

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

I am almost 100% sure this is an amp problem; I fix 6 to 8 of these a week and have only on one occasion had to change a convergence yoke, and it was giving a decent picture but destroying the associated STK in a few days.

Also you need to bear in mind that there are 2 yokes per tube on many PTVs one deflection and one convergence.

Also absent any moving or dropping of the TV there is no reason for the magnets, rings, yokes, etc to have shifted from their proper positions.

I do this for a living, that doesnt mean I am always right (I am not) but I would be surprised to be wrong on this one.

--

Art

Reply to
Art M - Artfromny

Dear Art,

I bought out most of the surplus from Advent and installed the first

1000A in a bar in NYC so I've been at this a while too.

If it is the STK module, how could it "follow the tube/yoke" when he swaps the connections with say the red? Splain please?.

I have no experience with this unit in particular but, if it follows the yoke when swapped with another color's (that would mean the yoke is now connected to an STK module that IS working correctly), that means it is a tube/yoke issue-not a deflection amp issue.

If there is a static magnet (like Sony is fond of) that has become unglued due to heat, sometimes this can result.(Compare to the other tubes and look for missing magnets)

Granted, linearity rings do not move by themselves and it's an odd drop that moves them this much and only on one color. We don't know the history and there could have been busy fingers at work before he got it.

What is more likely is damage to the internal gun support. If it is stable, a new setting of the linearity rings may help.

TMI

Reply to
TMI

Very good point indeed

the only other thing that would support the STK diagnosis is that when you swap STK outputs the result is not always a correct convergence, merely a different one - due to the alignment info coming out of the DCU the red will not properly align the blue that it is now driving when switched, but it will change the pattern of mis-convenrgence, and to an untrained eye it may look like the problem is following the yoke

it is quite frustrating to diagnose a problem long distance like this - I will be very interested to see the final answer

--

Art

Reply to
Art M - Artfromny

Depends on whether the deflection yoke or the convergence yoke wires were swapped. If the deflection yoke wires were swapped it would have the same convergence drive.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Wow, are you talking about the old Advent projectors, white, stand in the middle of the floor, looks a little like R2D2, has dozens of plug- in boards inside, runs the tubes at around 50KV? I used to work on those!!!

Reply to
Mr. Land

I serviced a few myself. I remember best the one on the fifty-something floor of Lake Point Towers in Chicago. I had to "phone home", and the customer's phone was on a three-foot cord plugged into a jack right by an extremely large plate-glass window. My acrophobia insisted that I crawl on hands and knees to the phone and keep my call short.

--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide