What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?

What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD guitar
amp, as far as the circuitry?

I am assuming the speakers are made to better handle the bass
frequencies, but are the circuits any different?

I am asking this, because awhile back, I bought a generic Bass Guitar
amp for a price I could not refuse. It's a small soild state amp, with
about a 30W output.(or is ist 50W, websites seem to vary). Has an 8"
speaker in it. I mainly bought it to be used to test other equipment in
my shop.

Anyhow, I'm impressed by it's sound quality. It does a fine job of
reproducing both bass, and the high frequencies. It's only mono, but it
has a nice clean sound and can get quite loud. It's just some off brand
device, called "Gorilla". (model GB-30). (some worthless links do pop up
on google). Made in 87.

Over the years I have played around with many guitar amps, and repaired
numerous tube amps, but this is the first "Bass Amp" I have touched.
When I bought it, I actually thought I'd have to change some capacitors
in order to get the high freqs, but this amp reproduces the highs as
well as the bass.

I have yet to find a schematic or manual for it, but it works, so I dont
really need a schematic at the moment. (But I like to have one for
everything I own).
[If anyone sees one, pls let me know]

Then again, I always thought that the "Fender Twin Reverb" amps had TWO
reverb tanks. They dont! Just one..... "Twin" is just the name of those
models, and there have been many variations in that model over the
years, and it has always been a big seller with good reputation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Twin

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?

** Bass amps are generally simpler with no reverb, vibrato or overdrive.

There are all kinds of bass amps, like there are all kinds of dogs.

In the tube era, a bass model would normally have a slightly larger output tranny and bigger speaker/s.

.....  Phil

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?
And slightly different frequency response of course.

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?

Probably not.

Frequency response is catholic (small c). It does not care much what goes i
n, or what goes out. The speakers, filters and whatever else added to the a
mp filters (or not) control what the you hear. Larger output transformer
= more power handling capacity - that should have been your first clue.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?
On Sun, 28 May 2017 18:32:59 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison

Correct. None of that on this amp.
But since I am not using it for guitar, I dont need that stuff.

Then it's really a BETTER amp.....
This one is solid state, so it's only the speaker in question. It's a
small amp, so the speaker is only an 8 inch, but it has darn good
sound. And I generally consider any speaker less than 12" to be a
"toy". Not so with this one!

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?

Sigh. A guitar amp is what it is because it makes the sound that
the musician wants. Not because it has better technical specs!
It's a highly significant part of the "instrument". The same is
true for bass guitar amps, though usually a cleaner sound is
preferred.

Bass guitar players would only use an 8" speaker for practice,
and then only under duress.

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?

Take a look at Phil Jones bass. Lots of little drivers made by him. He must
use some eq I figure.

Greg

Re: What is the difference between a BASS Guitar Amp and a STANDARD one?
snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote:

 ** For bass guitar maybe, otherwise not.

** I know the " Gorilla GB30" amp you have, it is basically a toy.

   Good for only bedroom use for practice.

...  Phil

Site Timeline