What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?

Lots of replies, so this may have been suggested already

Taken from any 'click' pen.

Reply to
83LowRider
83LowRider wrote in :

That's the best idea ever!

\

The pen spring was suggested but until I saw your photo I didn't think the pen spring would work. You showed that a pen spring _is_ big enough to roll onto the Apple cable becoming what I had called a strain relief but I don't know what it's called because others said it's not a strain relief.

That picture is PERFECT for what I want to do, and is the best and cheapest answer yet and it relieves the strain gradually which is another perfect thing!

Now I have to root through the trash to find all those Bic click pens I've thrown away over the years! LOL

Reply to
Erholt Rhein

Interesting, in that picture, the USB cable jacket is *already* compromised.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

late to this, but:

Install with an expendable brush.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

micky posted for all of us...

Are they two ply? Pink on one side and blue on the other?

--
Tekkie
Reply to

A spring will work nicely, I think. Been using one on mom's nebulizer hose for a while now. I had an easy way to attach the end (small hole). It's kept the hose from kinking. I got one that was a few feet long and cut it.

Reply to
Ron D.

news:u%wvC.88363$ snipped-for-privacy@fx34.iad:

Actually, I just make sure that the USB cables I buy have good built-in strain reliefs.

If you are really serious about making your own, there is tape that you can buy that is impregnated with resin. One version sets by itself the package is opened. One uses water to activate setting, and one uses UV to set the resin. And thee is also the self-adhering/fusing tape that basically melts together when it is wrapped under tension. Take your pick.

Reply to
Tim

:)

Reply to
83LowRider

i'VE NOTICED that mine is about 2:1. It's not marked or labeled, and I buy the cheapest stuff I can find, so it woudn't go over a usb plug and shrink to fit the cable.

Reply to
micky

Me too.

I don't think I use them as much as some of you but none have failed. I have AC extension cords that go back I think 50 years, certainly 40.. In a couple, the rubber cracked and I couldn't save them, but other rubber has lasted. Most of my stuff never breaks.

Reply to
micky

Tim posted for all of us...

This reply was regarding the old towels used to clean vehicle windshields NOT USB cables.

--
Tekkie
Reply to