Weller Tips ...

Just following on from the thread of a few weeks ago, where we were discussing how Weller tips don't seem to last like they used, and then the reference to lead-free solder 'leaching' iron from the tip plating, that I found on the Cooper website.

A few weeks back - no more than 4 - I fitted a new 700 degree pointed tip to my TCP series Magnastat bench workhorse iron. It's on for about 12 hours a day, and the Magnastat works correctly. About a week ago, I noticed that the tip was already 'waisting' about 2mm up from the point, and today, the pointy bit just fell off, leaving a ragged eaten-away stump. During the three weeks that it seemed to survive unscathed, the soldering done with it was predominantly normal 60/40 leaded, using the same solder that I always have for more years than I care to remember. In amongst that work period, I guess I used it for lead-free soldering perhaps four or five times - maybe

20 - 30 joints total.

So what is going on here ? Have Weller changed the plating of their tips in some way ? Are we actually seeing this iron plating 'leaching' effect that they mention on the website, in play ? Or is it that the fluxes in lead-fee solder are so aggressive to try to make the useless stuff stick to other metals, that the iron plating doesn't stand a chance ? If it is the leaching effect, or even flux attack, then it's pretty drastic, if it can wreck a tip with that few joints ...

Whatever it is, three to four weeks for a tip, instead of the previous three to four months, at least, seems pretty poor performance for what has always been accepted as a good quality 'professional' general bench iron.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I don't recall getting more than a month out of any tip being Weller or Unger. I still have Unger stuff btw. About 20 new PL111 (I think that's the number) pencil tips and a couple 33 watt elements. Back when Unger disappeared Weller made those screw in heaters with the threaded tip. I bought a 22 watter. I've had some of that stuff for 25 years.

Reply to
Meat Plow

the

it

in

lead-fee

leaching

tip

three

always

It certainly makes a big difference only switching on the iron prior to use and switching off again afterwards. Perhaps a halfway house add-on would make sense for those that leave the iron on all the time. A subcircuit, that a trembler in the handle sets/ resets, after dropping to half / 3/4 ? power (voltage) heating of the element in idle mode. Whatever setting means the magnastat never cuts out so temperature only reaches 400F or so.

N_Cook

I have to agree with you ! I've taken to turning mine off when I don't need it for a little while. Another thing I did with a corroded tip was to drill a 1mm hole and insert a half inch (15mm) of copper wire. It doesn't last much longer than the original did but you can just snip off the end and carry on

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I will try a diode in the supply line to see whether a Weller 7 tip ever gets to magnastat temp and thermocouple measure the temp it does reach. Then just a small trembler, relay, timer etc. You could even kick the workbench just prior to picking up the iron

N_Cook

I recall seeing an article somewhere, where a diode with a microswitch across it was used on the cradle. Lifting the iron allowed the microswitch to short out the diode.

In a similar vein, I have a hot melt glue gun with a two heat switch on it. Marked "Full & Half" heat. All that does is short out a diode in series with the element. It certainly stops it dribbling when on "Half" heat.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I think I might try doing something with a diode, because it's a right pain having to turn off and on all the time in a busy workshop. I want to just be able to reach for the iron and it to be there, in my hand, ready and willing to melt solder for me. A while back, I replaced my Weller DS900 desoldering station with a functionally similar Pace model. I used to leave the Weller on pretty much all the time, and tips lasted several months. They could be bought one at a time for about seven quid. The Pace tips, even though they call them long life "Endura", don't last a third as long, if left running, and although only about the same price as the Wellers, can only be bought five at a time, and I really baulk at shelling out 35 quid, just to have one to put in, and four sitting in the drawer ... It also bothers me that turning an iron on and off all the time, is going to be more stressful for the element, and at 90 quid a pop, you don't wanna be changing the Pace one too often :-\\

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:51:45 +0100, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

[...]

I have my suspicions that Cooper no longer control the manufacture of their tips but use Vanier as their tip manufacturer.

I remember when Vanier first made Weller Magnastat tips back in the 80's (I think it was) because I tried one. It wasn't a patch on the original Weller tip and lasted only about 20% as long before it was eroded. Many complaints went back to Weller and they apparently found some original tips because they seemed to improve again - at least for a while.

I noted that the Vanier tips looked just "too bright" and shiny compared to the original Weller which looked quite dull. I suspect because of the better quality plating materials used by Weller.

Luckily, I still have a few of the old originals left in stock.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I measured 550F putting a diode in line with a 700F iron. I would put the circuit in a box with a socket and small piece of plugged cord, in line, near the transformer so can be removed easily. And a trembler sensitive enough to sense the bench being kicked. Not that I will be making such a unit as I switch off my iron and have dozens of tips left over from a batch bought 20 years ago. Tap wood, both switch and element have survived about 20 years together in this same iron, repeatedly switched on and off. Had to replace the mains switch once though.

N_Cook

Pace seem to be pulling out of the UK market - non of the big electronics companies seem to carry them anymore.

As regards spares they are a fraction of the UK price in the US - but many US suppliers take the p**s with freight charges to the UK, so what I do is get them sent to a pal in the US who posts them on to me.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We used to use a *lot* of these in the mid 1980s, bulk computer repair (VIC-20s and C64s!). Some tips seemed to last forever, some only a matter of days, all of them Weller. Phil.

Reply to
Phil

There used to be a superior 'second source' of Weller tips but I can no longer remember the name or even know if they're still in business.

Sounds like not enough iron plating on the tip to me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

the

it

in

ee

ing

tip

ree

ys

For someone on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean, can you convert quid to Euros or USDollars??

Reply to
hrhofmann

For someone on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean, can you convert quid to Euros or USDollars??

One quid is a quid but many quid are squid or even a pony or a monkey. But if you're boracic then they tend to become spondulics.

I hope thats cleared up any misunderstanding.

N_Cook

For someone on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean, can you convert quid to Euros or USDollars??

"Quid" is the slang term for a GB pound - a bit like 'buck' is slang for a US dollar. As to the value. Well, unfortunately for me and my family, who jump on an iron bird headed for your neck of the woods on Monday, the pound is now very weak against your dollar. My daughter bought some dollars yesterday, and got just $1.49 for each pound. She watched it drop by 4 cents from $1.53, as she stood in the line to make the deal. My other daughter bought some when she visited at the end of July, and got $1.96 for every pound. So around 20% has been wiped off the value in the last few weeks. So at the moment, a seven quid tip is about 10 bucks or so in your wonga.

I haven't the faintest idea what that is in euros. We don't use them in the UK, and most of us have no desire to, either.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

: :For someone on the west side of the Atlantic Ocean, can you convert :quid to Euros or USDollars??

Currently a "quid" (ie. UK Pound) is worth about US$1.59 and a Euro is roughly US$1.27.

This on-line currency converter is quite useful to have on your desktop...

Ross Herbert

: :"Quid" is the slang term for a GB pound - a bit like 'buck' is slang for a :US dollar. As to the value. Well, unfortunately for me and my family, who :jump on an iron bird headed for your neck of the woods on Monday, the pound :is now very weak against your dollar. My daughter bought some dollars :yesterday, and got just $1.49 for each pound. She watched it drop by 4 cents :from $1.53, as she stood in the line to make the deal. My other daughter :bought some when she visited at the end of July, and got $1.96 for every :pound. So around 20% has been wiped off the value in the last few weeks. So :at the moment, a seven quid tip is about 10 bucks or so in your wonga.

Despite the woes being experienced in the UK and the falling value of the UKP against the US$, a 20% fall is not too bad by Aussie standards.

Only about 7 weeks ago our little Aussie dollar was almost on parity with the US$ at US$0.97. Today it is about US$0.61, or a fall of around 27%. For a country which is expected to ride out the devastation better than most other Western nations, that is a pretty severe drop in value. It makes you wonder - what with all the bailouts and failing companies, banks etc in the US,- just how the US dollar remains so strong, and other currencies are falling against it. After all, didn't the US start the decline of the economy by their scandalous lending practices anyway?

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I dunno where they're giving out that much on the USD for UKP, Ross - nowhere here, that's for sure ! They have a neat little trick here where they drop the value by an eye-watering amount on Friday evening until Monday morning, whilst the money markets are basically closed for the weekend. That was the point at which it dropped from $1.53 to $1.49 as my daughter stood there, listening to the cashier talking to her son on her cell phone. When she objected to this, after the cashier had cleared the call, she finally managed to persuade some of the transaction out of her at a 'concessionary' rate of $1.50.

Had it have been me, I think I would have been kicking up a much bigger stink than that ...

See y'all when I get back :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily