Weller part needed ...

Does anyone anywhere have a spare head set for a Weller DS900 desoldering station, that they would be prepared to part with? Failing that, a complete iron, or failing that, anyone have a local parts supplier that's still got a replacement head set or complete iron in stock, that could be shipped to the UK. Seems that they have stopped manufacturing parts, which is a bit of a bummer as mine was very expensive when new, and has given stirling service up until now. The vacuum pump and power unit are still functioning perfectly, so it seems a shame to have to junk it for a spare part ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The DS900 was a UK model, is it the same as the US version DS600? parts are still available for that model.

Theres a DS600 on Ebay see if its the same : Auction #180222845995

or theres a head for the DS600

John

Hmmm. Kinda hard to say. The DS900's desoldering tool was based on the standard TCP series 45 watt (later 50 watt) magnastat controlled iron. The headset shown certainly looks 'right' although not quite the same. Looks more like the headset fitted to the later electronically controlled irons such as the DSX80.

Looking at the exploded view for the DS600, it looks like it has a magnastat switch in it, so it may well be that this also uses a TCP series iron, in which case, I see no reason why that headset would not work with my DS900. The whole trick to the magnastat system working, is that the 'slug' of metal behind the nozzle attachment boss, which mechanically interfaces with the end of the element tube to couple heat into the nozzle, has to be made of a magnetic material. It occurs to me that the later irons that use the same basic format, but have a sensor 'down the barrel' for the electronic control system, have no requirement for the coupling slug to be magnetic, so it might not be. If you look at a magnastat tip, it is actually almost all copper, but has a steel insert fitted at the back, to make it magnetic to the magnet in the 'stat switch. Also, the 'sleeve' of that headset would have to fit over the standard 50 watt TCP series element tube, and be the right length to screw onto the thread at the bottom. So I guess the next question is, can any owner of a DS600, tell me if it *is* based on a TCP series magnastat controlled iron ?

Looking at the latest Weller desoldering stations, it would seem that the bulk of the extortionate cost lies in the base station, so if I can't get my existing setup repaired, I might next consider just buying a DSX80 iron, and modifying my base unit to incorporate an electronic temperature control. I can then continue to use the vacuum pump on the new iron. I don't suppose anyone has any schematics for any Weller temperature control boards, do they ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Two for one on UK ebay right now. One working, one for parts...

Reply to
Smitty Two

complete

the

What exactly is wrong with your one, or are you just after a spare? I have a collection of new spare internal parts for assorted desolderers , from a production company spares store sell off, but they only have stock numbers on plain bags that I cannot relate to any maker let alone model. No complete heads

N Cook

Hey Smitty

Do you have an auction number or direct link reference for that please ? I have spent hours trawling eBay UK looking for anything DS900 related, without any success at all. I even have a watch on for anything DS900 related. Just as a matter of interest, what search string did you use to come up with your find ? Thanks

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Unfortunately, a complete head is needed. Initially, the element failed, so I got a new one - standard magnastat controlled 24v 50 watt type. When I came to fit it, the slug that slides inside the element tube to couple the heat into the tip holder boss, had seized into the element. I have never had that before, despite owning this station for many years, and having had to renew the element on several occasions. Despite attempts to carefully get it to come free, it resisted, and eventually sheared off in the old element tube, leaving just a stub (that in theory you can't even get at due to it being down inside the securing tube that slides over the element, and is rolled over at the bottom) that could not be used to couple in heat from the new element.

I have, with a bit of brute force and carefull snipping, managed to get at it, and have straightened off the broken stub, and drilled and tapped it. Likewise, I have removed the coupling slug, complete with its magnetic insert at the back for the mag switch, and similarly drilled and tapped it. I have then joined the two together with a brass M4 screw with the head sawn off. It works, but is less than ideal. It's not quite as strong in use as it was, and the thermal inertia is not quite as good ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

desoldering

,

stock

so

had

it

the

it.

sawn

it

can you take a pic of the interior bit, and place on a site somewhere ? or URL of a pic out there already

N Cook

I believe this is the ebay item in question:

Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

There you go, Arfa. Beware the steep shipping cost. I didn't find it by searching ebay, I found it by googling Weller DS900. 8th hit. So I don't know why it escaped your search. Tim? How'd you get it?

Reply to
Smitty Two

Out of curiosity I thought I'd try. When DS900 didn't produce anything I just used the keywords 'Weller' and 'station'. The reason Arfa didn't find it on an ebay search is that the seller has put a space between DS and 900.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

OK, thanks lads. I might put a bid in on it, but in the meantime, I've had a bit of a change of heart. Having now spoken to the actual Cooper Tools rep for the area, it seems that all parts for the magnastat based desoldering irons, have now ceased production. So I got to thinking that I might well get a new headset this time around, and then find a few weeks down the line when I need to order some more tips, that I can't get these either ... I suppose if I'm absolutely honest, it does struggle a bit temperature-wise with lead-free work as well, which is why I guess that they've gone over to all-electronic temperature control now. It's been a good old workhorse station, but I think that I'm just being sentimental. At the end of the day, I need a desoldering tool that's there and ready to roll at a moments notice all day every day. This little hiccup has made me realise how much of a problem it would pose to my business to be without a desoldering station for more than a few days.

Soooooo .....

I have bitten the bullet, and bought a Pace off of eBay. At least it's current, and I know I can get parts and tips for it. I've never actually used a Pace SX series handpiece, but I guess if it melts the solder and sucks it off cleanly, then that'll do me. Anyone got any positives / negatives on this equipment ? All of the reviews I've seen in the past seem to rate Pace soldering / desoldering equipment, so I'm hopeful.

Ok. Go ahead now and tell me what a durr I've been to have shelled out wonga on this item ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Professionals need professional tools in excellent condition that they can rely on. Congratulations on your new acquisition. You did the right thing.

Now then, about five years ago, I dropped my ancient Hakko desoldering station on the ground, and the pistol grip handpiece shell broke into about six pieces. I called a couple of distributors who told me the part was no longer available. It took me a while, but I finally got through to Hakko HQ on the phone, and told them I wanted to talk to the oldest guy down in the corner of the basement. He said, sure, I've got a few of those lying around. We don't make them anymore, but I have three or four. I'll send one to you. And he did.

Reply to
Smitty Two

That was kinda the route that I was initially going down, after discovering that the unit was no longer supported, but you're right of course, and I think I am now glad that I've got a current model on the way. I will let you know when I've had a chance to have a play with it. It is a good price, and has got a lot of accessories with it. The guy selling it seemed nice enough, so hopefully, I've got a good deal. I will probably stay on the lookout for a replacement headset or complete iron for the Weller. It never hurts to have a spare unit tucked up the corner, but other than this, it's just going to get gracefully retired ...

Do you have an oinion on Pace handpieces ? One of the main reasons that I used to like the Weller, was that the tip was set at an angle to the handle, so the handpiece was gripped 'pencil-like' in the same way as a normal soldering iron, and all of the solder collection took place externally to the handle. With most of the other designs, including the Pace, it looks as though the tip is in line with the handle, and collection takes place inside, making it a bit 'chunky'. Does this take a bit of getting used to ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Can't comment on the Pace, or the Weller either. I like the Hakko pistol grip design. It's bulky, but then I'm not working inside a chassis with it so the bulk doesn't ever get in my way... I imagine that the Pace will feel clumsy to you for a while though, since it differs from the Weller.

Reply to
Smitty Two

OK. Well it should arrive today or Monday - I've had confirmation that it's on its way - so we shall see ...

I've just been given some 'new' boards of a different type, that have a multi-pinned module that's going to need removing, so that will be a good test for it :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well, I've had a chance to play with it now, and I have to say that it's very good. Surprisingly, although the handpiece *is* chunky, somehow, they've contrived to make it not *feel* chunky or uncomfortable to use. Strange ... An interesting exercise in ergonomics, I think !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

My homemade station uses an SX80. Expensive elements and bits. Blocks more quickly than some. But pleasant enough to use.

If using the higher temperatures needed for lead free you might find the element life isn't too good. I now only switch it on when needed.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver\'s license of a bald man? *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I was looking at the cost of consumables, and had already decided that it would only go on when needed. Tips are about the same price as my old Weller ones at around seven quid, but it looks like you have to buy them in packs of 5 ... Also, I thought that elements at 70 quid or whatever, were a bit TTP. Just as a matter of interest, do you use the disposable cardboard collection tubes ? If so, where do you get them from, and how much do you pay for them ? I had a quick look in the Farnell catalogue, but they didn't leap out at me. That's not to say that I was looking in the right place of course. Sometimes, they put these things in the oddest places ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily