Weird Insignia TV/DVD model TVDVD20A

Hi,

I have an Insignia TV/DVD model TVDVD20A in my service shop (no SM).

The set will turn on, but when you try to change the volume, channel, etc. It turns off. It won't play a DVD, because I can't get it to switch from TV to DVD (turns off).

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

Might I offer an ignorant suggestion? It sounds as if the remote-control chip is misinterpreting the IR commands -- or sending the wrong ones to the set. I'd look there first.

Why didn't the customer take the set back to Best Buy?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Check to make sure none of the wires to the front panel are open or shorted, these sorts of faults in multiplexed wiring can cause very strange behavior like this.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sounds a bit like one of the modern 'nonsense' faults that you get, when the data in the EEPROM is corrupt.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

...or a simple mechanical problem )assuming OP is using front panel controls, not remote). Perhaps pushing one button flexes the assembly and also causes power switch to cycle.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:28:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Brad) put finger to keyboard and composed:

Your remote control wouldn't have a model number that begins with "HYDFSR" would it?

If so, then a friend's Transonic TV is behaving very similarly. In his case it is the remote control which is at fault. It is sending random codes (even after dismantling and cleaning and replacing the resonator).

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Hi,

I used both the original remote and a universal remote with the same results.

I forgot to mention that the panel buttons don't work, no response when you press the volume, power, etc.

I scoped/checked the +5 volts for "noise".

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Fixing that problem will probably correct the remote-control problem. Focus on that.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck