WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil

Circumstances:  Dynaco SCA-35 that may be best described as "neglected" , a
s follows:

Filthy with greasy grit - what I would consider to be kitchen-type grease m
ixed with black grit similar to what landed on windowsills when I grew up i
n NYC, with regular dust co-mingled. To the point that individual component
s on the boards were very nearly indistinguishable.

Most of the controls sprayed with white lithium grease that had hardened to
 near-concrete status.

Most of the rotary controls frozen - hard. The exceptions being the rear hu
m-pots that had never been touched, and so remained operable.

Process: Rinse the entire shebang in WD-40, purchased in bulk and delivered
 via pressurized refillable aerosol can. Probably a pint used overall. Done
 over a trash-can with some kitty-litter on the bottom. This loosened the s
kunge. Rinse with CRC, over the same trash-can after 24 hours. This pretty
much removed the _EXPOSED_ skunge on the controls, switches and boards. All
 of a sudden individual components became visible. Flushed the controls wit
h WD and CRC - amazing the amount of waxy crap that came out.

Wipe down with lint-free cloth, stiff artists' oil brushes and high-proof i
sopropyl alcohol.

Apply lubricating cleaner to all rotary and sliding controls.
Apply Liquid Wrench to all shafts.
24 hours.
3 of 5 controls were free. Bass & Selector-switch still frozen, hard.
Apply Kroil. 12 hours. Re-apply Kroil.

All shafts are free.

More basic cleaning. Check _every_ connection with a dental pick. Tighten a
ll tube bases. Apply power, no tubes. All good. 40 minutes, no unusual heat
 signatures.

Add tubes. Short inputs. As above, draws 85 watts, below nameplate of 110 w
atts. 1 hour, all voltages stable and correct.

Add speakers and signal - Voila!  Sound, hum and buzz-free. All controls wo
rking properly.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil

Which is why I use Kroil and don't waste my time on other products.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Jeff:

Using Kroil as cleaner/rinse would be wildly expensive! And of all the Dyna
co products, the SCA 35 and ST 35 are amongst the lease amenable to going t
hrough a dishwasher. Between the cloth-lead transformers with open bells an
d fish-paper insulation and other issues, the risk is just too great - or t
hat would have been my first choice in this case.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil

I suggested nothing of the sort.
You mentioned stuck controls. Kroil worked on the two that
did not respond to the alternative "un stickers."

Hence my comment about why I use Kroil without wasting my
time using inferior products.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 as follows:
 mixed with black grit similar to what landed on windowsills when I grew up
 in NYC, with regular dust co-mingled. To the point that individual compone
nts on the boards were very nearly indistinguishable.
to near-concrete status.
hum-pots that had never been touched, and so remained operable.
ed via pressurized refillable aerosol can. Probably a pint used overall. Do
ne over a trash-can with some kitty-litter on the bottom. This loosened the
 skunge. Rinse with CRC, over the same trash-can after 24 hours. This prett
y much removed the _EXPOSED_ skunge on the controls, switches and boards. A
ll of a sudden individual components became visible. Flushed the controls w
ith WD and CRC - amazing the amount of waxy crap that came out.
 isopropyl alcohol.
I've got a jar of Kroil from my neighbor.
I read somewhere about ATF* plus acetone and
a third thing.. ethyl alcohol? that was 'better'
for unsticking nuts and bolts.
I never tried it.

George H.
*Automatic Transmission Fluid
 all tube bases. Apply power, no tubes. All good. 40 minutes, no unusual he
at signatures.
 watts. 1 hour, all voltages stable and correct.
working properly.

Re: WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil

   I'm starting to think that penetrating oils don't help much with
the initial torque required to break a fastener loose. But once even a
little movement happens the oil  can then act as a lubricant and help
prevent galling as the fasteners are turned.
   But I am not convinced because of one particular case. An antique
rifle of mine has a flip up peep sight. The peep sight can be adjusted
by turning a knurled collar. When I got the rifle it was obvious that
the collar was stuck pretty good because there was damage to the knurl
from pliers. I tried various penetrating oil over the years and could
never get the collar to trurn. Then a few years ago I tried using some
Break Free on the thing. I wet the assembly in the evening and the
next morning I was able to turn the collar with just my fingers. Not
easily at first. But I was able to get the thing apart and  it was
rust that washed out of the collar and off of the screw.
Eric

Re: WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com says...

Waiting overnight or even 2 or so days making sure the part stay wet
often works very well.  Many will spray the part and expect it to be
free in about 10 seconds.

Re: WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 16:38:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery

I know about the waiting bit. I had tried that several times on the
sight. Then gave up for years. Then tried the Break Free stuff. I'm
not sure why it wouked when nothing else did.
Eric

Re: WD-40, CRC 'Lectra-Clean, Liquid Wrench, and Kroil
I've always had reasonable success heating the part, then as it cools applying PB Blaster. Time. Then applying mechanical impact -- that seems to be the trifecta.

A few taps with a hammer, or an impact wrench, or the back of a crescent wrench, almost without fail will loosen the suspect nut or bolt.

Site Timeline