water damage to my friends digital camera

yea i was talking to my friend and her dog knocked her digital camera into the dog bowl

what should she do to fix it b/c if she dont her mom will kill her (i told her to get a blow dryer to it and dry to get everythang dry but she said that its not working ) so if anyone could help me that would b great

Reply to
oofeeneyoo

Hi!

First first first first--get the battery or batteries out of the camera!! The sooner you do this, the better for everything involved.

Second--remove the memory card from the camera and look for any backup batteries. Since it fell into a dog bowl, putting it into a bowl of clean distilled water might be a very good idea to help flush any crud out of it. You can't make things any worse at this point.

Third--Dry the camera as best you can. Then put it in a moderately sunny place or somewhat near a heat vent. Let it rest for a few days.

Fourth--put the battery back in and you might get very lucky. If the camera doesn't work at that point, you are probably out of luck. The key here is to get the battery or power source removed as soon as it is possible to do so safely.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Probably too late, get the batteries out of it asap. Corrosive damage to the electronics begins almost immediately, and if the camera happens to be on at the time, irreprarible damage occurs pretty quickly. She'll probably end up buying her mom a new camera. Try the blow dryer, open every door, compartment, etc. remove the mem card and blow warm air in for several hours, not too hot, good luck. I tried to save an old 3MPXL Kodak camera that was rained on. No good, all kinds of corrosion on the boards, totally fubar . . . Regards, Tom

Reply to
t.hoehler

If it was powered up before being opened up and thoroughly dried out, it's probably scrap.

You might get very lucky if you let it dry in a warm place for a couple of weeks, I've seen water get under surface mount chips, but I certainly wouldn't count on it ever working again.

Reply to
James Sweet

Also, not to mention if water got inside the lens unit, then it's a goner even if the electronics would still work.

JMK

Reply to
Jack

Logically her mom should kill the dog, not the friend. Some household insurance policies cover damage of this type. You'd be surprised how many remote controls get chewed by dogs.

Reply to
contrex

Many policies exclude damage by pets, best to tell the insurance company it was damaged by an adult.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

And, then, expect to have your policy rate increase dramatically on the next renewal -- or learn that you will not be renewed.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Reply to
Mike Berger