W10 PC slower than 8MHz 286/W3.11FWG!

Originally W10 upgrade on W7 - that fell over after about a month.

A clean ground up install isn't much better...................

When W10 imploded - I couldn't repair, re-install or anything. The only cure was to overwrite the HDD by installing Linux, then clear all that out and start over with W10.

Pretty much every application starts off; "not responding", the HDD activity light is busy almost all the time. The cursor frequently changes from an arrow to a little blue circle, either way the response is usually hesitant - if it gets around to moving at all.....................

It was tolerable when I was using freeAVG, someone told me that was the cause of the problems and I should switch to Avira - I did that and now the PC is pretty much unuseable.

When I tried to go back to AVG, the installation failed, so it looks like I'm stuck with Avira.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

Windows is like that. The alternatives aren't.

Do you want to get on with work or play games?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I started with Windows 3.1 -DOS 5 and played around with Slackware, Knoppix then moved to a matured Mint.

I do not play games.

I do not miss the everyday hassle of keeping up with virus, Trojans and maleware.

Looked at Win 95 and 98 and saw nothing but the same and more intrusive EULA agreements.

I see the handwriting on the wall with MicroSlop going down in flames shortly as they themselves move to Linux calling it Azure but they still seek to own the consumer.

I cannot think of one single complaint of any of the GNU/Linux I used and there have been many yet none so far has let me down nor been the endless hassle MicroSlop was.

My very last encounter with Windows dual booting Linux left me infected with a boot sector virus rendering one of the two hard drives useless, care to guess what OS was on that one?

Unfortunately I'd lacked a jumper when I put that drive in so I'd soldered it, so in the trash bin it went more hassle than it was worth. It was a rather small drive so not a big deal.

Windows has not infected any machine I've owned in the last eighteen years, oddly enough dating to the last time I had issues with any of my systems.

Had Windows Ultimate on a used purchased drive, looked at it, dd if=/dev/ zero of=/dev/sda clear it right up. YMMV but I'd be skeptical.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

The Mint distro I used to clean the W10 wreckage off the HDD, required an internet connection - I need something I can practice on that will install on my isolated PC.

Reply to
Ian Field

It WILL install without an internet connect. An internet connection is merely preferred.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Reply to
Ian Field

I assumed a virus problem and pulled the power jack out of the router during install - Mint refused to proceed until I plugged it back in.

The system requirements bit was very pictorial - the box that said; "internet connection" was greyed out until I powered the router up.

Reply to
Ian Field