VT5V73 Generic 15" LCD Color NTSC Composite Video Monitor No Backlight Symptom

I bought a couple of used units of these No-brand generic LCD monitors to use for video camera use. They have no brand name, and I don't know where they were sold originally.

For my first actual fault-finding in-circuit testing use of the Blue ESR Meter, I found a defective capacitor quickly, and restored the operation of a LCD composite video monitor.

I had been looking at cheap, new replacement CCFL tubes and inverters for sale on eBay, but instead, decided to finally buy a Blue ESR Meter for this task, instead of using my usual tester, a Sencore Z-Meter.

The backlights would sometimes come on when the AC power was applied. If they did come on, they'd shut off within a very short time.

The inverter board is a long narrow (~ 7x1") board with outputs for 2 lamps at the ends and a 5-pin power/control signal connector near the middle. There is only one electrolytic cap on the inverter board, so I turned on the ESR meter and zero the test leads, and check the 100uF 25V C1 cap.. Over Range, how cool is that? Fast, easy, reliable confirmation of a faulty capacitor.

While I had the back panel removed, I checked the PSU electrolytics, but found no problems. The units have an AC power cord, and the PSU supplies only 12VDC and 5VDC to the main and audio boards, with power for the inverter coming from the main board.

Further testing of the inverter 100uF/25V cap, with the Sencore Z-Meter showed the following: ESR: 220 ohms Value: 23uF Leakage: 10uA Dielectric Absorption: 16% initially, increasing to over 31%

The 2 NTSC monitor units I have appear to be different versions, as one unit has OSD menu aspect ratio choices of 4:3 and 5:4, the other one has 4:3 and

16:9.

The monitors were apparently modified to turn on when AC power is applied, as I received them, so the on/off switch doesn't do anything.

These appear to have been manufactured in 2004 or 2005, marked as made in Taiwan.

Inverter Label: 02B1D529 (MAYBE 02BI...) 4143015602 VER 2.06 10.06.2004

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

On Thu, 20 May 2010 23:04:51 -0400, "Wild_Bill" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Google turns up this page:

There is a phone number at the bottom of the page.

Is there an FCC ID on the back, or is it just a compliance statement?

You may find a circuit diagram and/or user manual here:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thank you Franc, you always seem to be able to find stuff that others don't, it amazes me.

There is only a compliance statement on the back, no FCC registered numbers.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

BTW, the phone number listed is for an Illinois USA company

Reply to
Wild_Bill