Vintage eBay frequency counter question

Worth fixing up, or destined only for a new home on the scrap heap?

Asking price is too high either way IMO

Reply to
bitrex

There's cheaper alternatives to waste your time/money on.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Rode hard and put away wet...

Short answer is a resounding NO.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Unless it is for some collection, I would send it off to the scrap heap. I would not even think about paying the postage if it was given to me.

Some old things are worth playing with if you have nothing else to do. I don't think this is even one of those.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Gut it out. Build in a PC. Sell it to a hipster.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I appreciate the sanity-check ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

It's got like, toobs, man. They sound warm

Reply to
bitrex

If you like NIXIs strip them out and use modern driving and build a room clock , with a wow factor

Reply to
N_Cook

Deffo.

Nice idea that.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Meh, I could buy a couple dozen good Soviet planned-economy strong-like-bear NOS nixies for that price.

Reply to
bitrex

Steampunk conversions are more interesting:

Take a closer look at red plastic in the panel on the photos. It kinda looks like those are Nixie tubes behind the plastic. That could make it some kind of collectors item. I assume that it does't work since the seller didn't bother plugging it in. So, you could modify it into a large Nixie tube digital clock and power line frequency meter, or just forget about it because it's far too much work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On closer inspection it looks like it's missing a backplane card too. Who knows where one would find a replacement...

Reply to
bitrex