VFD and line reactor

I have a small VFD, Huanyang model HY02D223B that is powering a sub spindle that I added to a CNC lathe. I have not interfaced the VFD with the CNC control and don't plan to. The manual says a line reactor should be used for power factor correction. It should be capable of handling 12 amps at 250 volts, have 2.5 mH inductance, and 5% impedence. Besides power factor correction does the line reactor do anything else that might prevent any problems? Such as stopping any noise that might interfere with and CNC machines that are wired into the same circuit breaker panel? I don't really care much about the power factor correction right now. My power company won't charge me less if the power factor is corrected, I just don't use that much juice. Virtually all the line reactors I see for sale are 3 phase models. I am powering the VFD with single phase but could use 3 phase. Do all lines running to the VFD need to go through a line reactor for proper operation? I could use 3 phase to power the VFD or maybe I could just use 2 of the three windings in a 3 phase reactor. I dont know if that would work so I am asking here. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Yes, I had a few pieces of computer-type gear that were affected by a VFD on my CNC mill. I put a heavy-duty commercial line filter box on it, and all the interference went away. This is an LC filter, not just a reactor. I found a suitable filter in my junk.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks Jon. As it happens I have an LC filter I removed from an old CNC mill. Made by RK Electric. There is a schematic on the front that shows three 220 ohm resistors all connected together at one end in a star formation. The other end of each resistor is connected to a .47 mfd cap. From the other end of each cap is a wire. The device is rated at 600 volts. I don't know how to use it but I imagine it is just connected across the three incoming power wires. With single phase can just any two wires be used? Thanks again, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I meant Wye connection. Looking online I see that it is a surge suppressor. Oops. Anyway, it shows the device connected across the motor wires. They do sell single phase ones too and I may have a couple. The manual shows the reactor being connected to the incoming power leads so I guess an LC filter should be too. Especially since the VFD manual says to not connect anything across the output. Switches and capacitors are specifically mentioned. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Ditto here. It's difficult to see the filters, there are 6 Corcom line filters in this mess that isolate the servo driver boxes from the power line. Two filters are partially visible under the tangle of cables between the upper two boxes. There's also a power line filter going to the controller: More: I have no idea if they were really necessary because I insisted that they be included in the initial build and never tried to run any jobs without them.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

We have the VFD powering only the spindle motor, which requires 3 phase power from a single phase source. We have no filtering on the VFD output. Everything else I previously mentioned is powered by

220VAC single phase, which is full of AC line filters. If you suspect that the spindle power is somehow getting into the computah, perhaps some shielding conduit might be an easy fix?

See comments under "VFD Load Filters".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Where I worked we had hundreds of VFDs. They ranged from around 1/2 hp to over 200 hp. Nothing but the motor goes on the output. On the supply lines which were mostly 480 v 3 phase or some 120 V single phase was a reactor. This is to keep the electricl noise generated by the VFD out of the supply lines.

As the plant had many microprocessors/PLC and other computer equipment the AC lines needed to be somewhat clean. Very difficult with all the various equipmnet in the plant. Some times strange thing would seem to hapen due to a spike of noise. It may not be on the AC line powering the equipment,but on some of the sensor wiring.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery