Vertical Lines

Have a Toshiba 30HF85 30" TV. There are vertical lines at the top of the screen. I believe I need to replace the cap near the vertical hold IC. Where is the vertical hold IC? Thanks.

Reply to
DB

Additional: What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Reply to
DB

Mistake!! I have horizontal lines near top of screen!! Sorry.

Reply to
DB

the

C.

If you can't find the vertical section, it's reasonable to assume you can't find the dangerous EHT section either. I strongly recommend you find someone to repair it for you.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:08:53 -0400, DB ??o??:

Take it to a repair shop before you hurt yourself or worse.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Listen guys. I have a 2 year degree in elect/electronics. I know all about the high voltage. I've been inside many a crt's without getting fried. I once fixed a crt monitor by replacing a dead cap. I appreciate the concern.

New development: I realized it's as if the picture size has been increased vertically to where the image has returned at the top but upside down. Is there an adjustment or do I need to replace a component? Thanks.

Reply to
DB

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:18:24 -0400, DB ??o??:

I have a 35 year degree in experience on the job. The structure of your questions are a dead giveaway (no pun intended) that you should not be inside the back of a set relying on your associates degree to protect you. That is unless you wrap it around your hand as an insulator.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I believe it's called vertical fold over. I most likely need to replace a bad cap near the vertical hold IC. Which takes me back to my original question: Where is the vertical hold IC? What's the shape and how many pins? Thanks.

Reply to
DB

I've already been in there. You're not responsible. Which IC is it? Thanks.

Reply to
DB

There are two coils on the back of the CRT. The horizontal is connected to the horizontal output transformer (which is also the high voltage transformer, I'm sure you recognize it).

Now just track the connection to the other coil. This comes from the vertical output stage, which is driven by the vertical sync circuit.

If your picture is stable besides of the wrong size, its probably not the vertical IC at fault, but the power amplifier after it, or the power supply.

If there are only a few lines, and they are crossing the picture diagonally, then it's the beam which is not blanked during the vertical flyback. This can be caused by a worn out picture tube, or by the grid bias voltages. I don't know about your TV, but usually there are some potentiometers for adjusting the grid voltages and slightly changing it makes the lines diasppear. That's what it lools like:

Is yours similar to that?

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Heimers

of

ou.

Then buy the service manual.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Thanks. Finally some useful info. The symptoms look more like when the picture is adjusted to large and it folds back, to where you can see and image in the lines, but upside down. Only about 1" at the top.

Reply to
DB

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:44:36 -0400, DB ??o??:

If you have a pdf document source for the schematic I'll have a look and let you know.

Reply to
Meat Plow

How do you know it's a bad IC?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Vertical hold? That went away, decades ago.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's ok, Michael. Stefan knows what I'm talking about, and he's knows what he's talking about too.

Reply to
DB

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:11:47 -0400, DB ??o??:

It's near the big thing with blue and yellow wires. That is on the side of a thing that looks like a little green round thing but should be black but if not maybe green also. Trace that thing over by the other thing and you might see a thing that matches it. If so look to the left of that thing and underneath another thing. Let me know how it works out for you.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Are you serious?

Reply to
DB

Brutally honest is the word that came to my mind. ;-)

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:12:35 -0400, DB ??o??:

Hell yes!

Reply to
Meat Plow