Vcr drum replacement Panasonic NV-HV61

Hi all. I was helping a friend replacing his video drum on a Panasonic NV-HV61 vhs player. This because it hardly played tapes in SP mode (picture full of white sparks) but EP recording went fine. He bought a replacement drum (entire unit, upper drum and lower part of it). This was a simple task, just 3 screws, place the new drum and the mechanics back. Now it plays SP just fine (except for it takes about 10-15 seconds before the picture comes, which is probably not right) but LP and EP tapes won't give any picture. My question is: Is there something that might need to be adjusted when fitting a new drum? Why will it take so long (10-15) seconds to get a picture in SP mode, but when it comes the picture is great, and wil last until you stop the tape.

Thanks a lot for any advice. Best regards PAF

Reply to
powerampfreak

Yea, the guide posts will need to be readjusted...and its a good idea to clean all the tape paths and the pinch roller and the capstan it presses against. The guide posts alignment is best done with an oscilliscope, because if its not done precisely, it may not be able to play tapes recorded on other machines.

The guide posts are what moves up and wrap the tape around the head.

VCR alignment kit:

circuit

ded

Thanks for the reply. So, the guides are the only necessary adjustment, then.. As I said, SP tapes plays just fine (after 15 seconds), but I realize the LP and EP demands more of the machine. I've access to an oscilloscope, where do I hook it up? If you don't mind you could post my e-mail if you like! Thanks a lot!

Regards, PAF

Reply to
powerampfreak

There is a head amplifier module associated with the head(s) signals. The alignment procedures info is included in the service manual for that particular model.

A 'scope is required for both mechanical and signal alignment, and you'll need to know the correct test points and service adjustment steps, all included in the service manual.

I think you need an alignment test tape for the procedure, but it's been a long time since I've done the alignment procedures.

Playing random tapes isn't a particularly revealing test. You'll want to try to accomplish very good results with FF, Rew and freeze in Play mode, and also recorded material compatibility with other machines.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I would be a little slow to start adjusting the guide posts, in my experience* (I admit it's been 15 yrs) I very rarely had to adjust the guides after a video head replacement, they are/were made very precise. Make sure the head drum seated properly when you installed it. Mike

*I replaced over 100 head assy's in my 11,000 vcr repairs. I got out when the price of vcr's got down to about $200.
Reply to
amdx

Your email bounced back. As wild bill said in the other post, you may get what you need in the service manual, and yes, sometimes you dont need to do this alignment with a new head. However, sometimes all it needs is the alignment , and not a new head, so this procedure is good to know. I have a pdf I can send you with details of the procedure. Email: partslinksteve (at) gmail (dot) com.

Reply to
circuit

Hello! You could try mail system1024(at)hotmail.com, thanks a lot. This is the latest info about the VCR:

  1. When inserting a tape and play, some tapes takes 5-15 seconds before picture comes. It always comes directly if pressing fast forward with picture. When going back to PLAY mode, the usual delay of 5-15 seconds is necessary before picture shows. The tape during test was an original recording of "Titanic". Some home made recordings (on another machine) may instantly show up, not needing the 5-15 seconds of delay before picture shows. Recording made on this machine in either. SP. LP or EP mode works perfect. No delay when starting to play the recording at all. I also made a test by adjusting the guides, with no improvment to the
5-15 delay. I adjusted them back to their original position after this. So, to summarize, the problem is that it doesn't play LP and EP recordings made on other machines, and it gives a delay of 5-15 seconds on most SP recordings. I would suspect this delay is during auto tracking operates. Though, picture quality in FF mode is perfect and playback aswell in SP.

Thanks for any advice.

Best regards, PAF

Reply to
powerampfreak