Valve amp transformer bodge

Hi,

I have a WEM Dominator Bass Mk1 with a blown mains transformer (shorted primary).

As a possible alternative to a rewind, which I haven't investigated yet .....

if I got 2 x 240v : 6v transformers (I am in the UK) and connected both secondaries together to get 240v back out for the HT, could I use the 6v as a heater supply, or is it best to use a separate transformer for this (or a better way to get the 6.3v)

I realise that the rectified 240v may be a little high for this amp, but maybe loading the 6v tap with heaters might be just the thing to bring it down somewhat, or I could use another method.

(I also note the 6.3v winding is centre tapped and grounded on this circuit)

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

3.html

as

it)

By bodge, do you mean what us west of the pond folks call kluge?

Anyway, the voltage rating of the capacitors on rectified output will determine if the rectified 240V is excessive or not. The tubes can take it. Also, you will have double losses going from your 240 input to 6V and back to 240V, so you will probably only have 230V on the output or maybe less. Tapping the 6 V for filaments is reasonable, I would connect a couple of resistors in series across the 6V and connect the midpont to ground to approximate their grounding scheme, it probably is to reduce hum from the input amplifier tubes. Make the resistors 10K or so to not overload the first 240 - 6V transformer. After things are running, check both transformers that you are not overheating anything.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi Gareth,

Have you no isolation transformers on your side of the pond?

Remember that the maximum current you can draw is the ratio of the 6.3V to its amperage compared to 240V. So if the 6.3VAC was rated at 10A, then the other side of your proposed pair would be 240V @ 262.5ma (assuming 100% efficiency). I suspect you will be having trouble with your idea if the 6.3V output current is even less!

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Hmm, I haven't really thought this through, I didn't consider an isolation transformer!

I guess an isolation transformer and a heater transformer would be a lot less iron overall.

Thanks,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

OK, so this amp, according to my calculations, requires a minimum of just over 15 Watts of 6.3v heater power, having 3 x ECC83 @ 300mA and 2 x EL84 @

760mA.

In the real world, how many ballpark Watts of power supply transformer should you be thinking about for the rest of the amplifier?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"hr(bob)

Also, you will have double losses going from your 240 input to 6V and back to 240V, so you will probably only have 230V on the output or maybe less.

** With no load, the output voltage will be close to 240V as the combined turns ratio is exactly 1:1. If two 50VA trannys are used, each will have a regulation loss under load of about 10% - so the actual output voltage will be under 200V.

A far worse problem is the primary magnetising current which the first transformer must supply to the second. The typical amount for a 50VA conventional tranny is 60mA on a 240V primary, but if operated in reverse it increases according to the turns ratio.

It becomes 40 times 0.06 or 2.4 amps - eating up almost 30% of the VA rating of the first tranny.

Things get better if two toroidal trannys are used, as the magnetising current is far lower.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Gareth Magennis"

** Go for a 240V / 220V isolation step down of say 50VA rating.

Plus a 6.3V, 3 amp tranny.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If you have the original transformer you can get some sort of an idea of the current requirements by checking the wire gauge for each winding.

That's about all I can think of other than figuring out what style of output you have and then calculating (based on) the maximum plate dissipation (usually in watts) and convert that to current as you roughly know the DC voltage.

Beyond that, pull out some tube amp design books and see what they recommend for transformers for your style outputs...

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

That sounds like the plan.