Using generic power adapter for Wi-Fi accesspoint

Hi guys,

My Wi-Fi access point (D-Link DWL-700AP) ceased to work, but I found out what the problem was. The power adapter is dead. However, in my junkpile I managed to find a generic power adapter from some old appliance, and it seems to work with the access point.

Now, I have a question: Is it safe to use the generic one? I am afraid of burning down my house or something like that.

The original adapter for the access point (now dead) said: Input: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz 0.5A Output: 5V 2A

The "new" one (don't know where I got it from) reads: Input: 230V ~ 50 Hz 140 mA Output: 6V 2.1A

(We have 230V 50Hz here in Denmark where I live)

Thanks,

Kind Regards, Jonas

Reply to
Jonas

Probably going to work okay, but I'd be more comfortable if it was a 5 volt unit. That's a 20% overvoltage, but likely there is voltage regulation within the router, and tolerances on power supplies is not all that tight anyway.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

You could always open it up and place a 2 amp rated standard silicon diode in series with the output. that will drop the output voltage by 0.6v or so to a more 'comfortable' 5.4v

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It depends. Some things don't seem to care, 5 volts or 6 volts or even

8 or 9 (not recommended) work e.g. EdiMax and D-Link routers I have. Other things will work with only 5 volts e.g. a Linksys PAP2 I have.

The Linksys simply will not turn on if the voltage is too high. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

Hi guys

Thank you everyone. I'll consider try dopping the voltage as described.

Thats interesting. Mine is a D-Link, and it seems to be doing fine so far at 6V...

Regards, Jonas

Reply to
Jonas

As for safe-against-fire, it's probably OK. All the adapters have similar fire-safety requirements... but your WiFi access point might burn up tomorrow. Either reverse-engineer the DWL box, or find a more suitable adapter. "5V" might mean 5V +/- 10%, but it isn't a match for "6V". In a pinch, you could tap your (presumably nearby) PC power supply, the red + black wires on the dangling disk-drive connectors have plenty of power to spare. So much, that you should only run wires outside the box after placing a proper (3A) inline fuse.

Reply to
whit3rd