Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

This is just one easy way to use Windows, Linux, and iOS together, to
quickly and easily watch a YouTube DIY at a location that has no Internet.

1. On Windows, I downloaded the desired YouTube DIY:
   youtubedl https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4

2. It's easy to transfer files into VLC over USB on dual-boot Linux:

http://i.cubeupload.com/360Laq.jpg

That's it. Now the video was on iOS playable where there is no Internet.

http://i.cubeupload.com/CuxNtP.jpg

A. I bought the tools at Harbor Freight & the speakers at Fryes:

http://i.cubeupload.com/GtSVFI.jpg

B. I followed the YouTube DIY in VLC, step by step:

http://i.cubeupload.com/IDheqM.jpg

C. I removed the decrepit Toyota OEM 20W $300 Panasonic speakers:

http://i.cubeupload.com/CweFrP.jpg

D. I had to drill holes to fit the 450W Blaupunkt 3-way speakers:

http://i.cubeupload.com/6ugHnx.jpg

E. Everything else but the holes fit perfectly back into place:

http://i.cubeupload.com/rczDpa.jpg

The only catch is that it's amazing that something as common as a 6x9" oval
speaker requires holes to be drilled in the rear deck given that these
things should simply be standard.

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Go peddle your shit somewhere else.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Hi Snit (aka Fox's Mercantile),

What's your mental age? About fifth grade, right?

The proof is your answer to the following adult question...

*Have you ever added technical value to _any_ thread in your life?*

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

I'm pretty sure if you put 450W through one of those speaker's it'd glow dull red.

NT

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

I've seen Jeff Liebermann's responses to questions of how manufacturers'
lie about specs, where he has personally doublechecked things like claimed
wattage on radios.

But what's amazing is that a pair of $300 Panasonic 20W paper-cone one-way
speakers sells at Toyota, when these $30 Blaupunkt 450W (claimed) speakers
are clearly better made.

The magnets alone weight a ton compared to the flyweight Panasonics -
although I don't think there is a spec on magnet heft. (What does the
magnet heft mean, in terms of specs, when the difference is striking
between two speakers?)

Also the paper of the $300 Panasonic cone is brittle and subject to sun
degradation, while the $30 Blaupunkt was presumably more sunlight resistant
rubber & foam.

But to your point on wattage, the head unit remained which likely was not
capable of outputting more than 20 watts RMS anyway - so there's no chance
that the $30 Blaupunkt speakers will be carrying more than that.

One question I have is why don't they make speaker holes standard for
standard-sized speakers? The other question is about that magnet.

If there were two same-sized speakers, one with a huge magnet and another
with a puny magnet, what does that mean in terms of likely performance spec
differences?

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Not a problem if you use maximum momentary peak pulse dynamic
percussive music power or something like that.  Need bigger numbers?
Just change the test method.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power
  "Thus, the ideal 100-watt audio system would need to be
  capable of handling brief peaks of 10,000 watts in order
  to avoid clipping".

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers
Jeff:

Please do not aid and abet the troll. It is ignorant (or chooses to feign i
gnorance) of the most basic electronic principles in order to smear its fec
al matter about.

I keep speakers 'rated' at 200 watts. Sure they are.

If 200 = V^2/8, then V = sr1600 = 40 volts.

If I feed a continuous 40V @ 5A @ 60hz into those speakers I would expect a
 melted voice-coil in short order. Never mind 450 watts.

Reading the literature that came with the speakers, the "ratings" are based
 on a normal signal being driven to 200 watts up to 20% of the time. Furthe
r defining 'normal', a signal being driven to clipping less than 5% of the
time and only for brief (less than 1 second) intervals. As they should be,
the manufacturer was more concerned with clipping than high-power.  Note th
at sound reinforcement speakers (as distinct from home audio speakers) are
designed for much higher continuous input. This is really basic stuff - and
 even the world of automotive audio (very nearly a contradiction-in-terms)
IA subject thereto.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

I've just come up with a new way to get boastier specs. Diss the power through the frame not the coil, and accept some charring.

NT

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

Dull red is about 650C (1200F).  Might be a bit hard on the driver
transistors, upholstery and insurance policy.

I like these speakers from the bad olde daze when cars only came with
one speaker cutout in the dash:
<https://www.retromanufacturing.com/blogs/news/dual-voice-coil-speakers
The fun part was driving each coil 180 degrees otto phase and watching
the speaker cone tear.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.  Maybe one of these speakers
would be more interesting:
"10 BIGGEST/LOUDEST Speakers"
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7xa-jiLNE
(6:25)

In the distant past, I worked on a compressed air battlefield
propaganda very loudspeaker.  Something like a modern version of one
of these:
<http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/auxetophone/auxetoph.htm
Pretend I didn't mention this as it might topic shift the "discussion"
beyond the tipping point of no recovery.  More:
<https://www.psaudio.com/article/the-mother-of-all-speakers-moas/

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers
percussive music power or something like that. "

Or PiPILS - Peak Instantaneous Power If Lightning Strikes.

  capable of handling brief peaks of 10,000 watts in order
  to avoid clipping". "

Actually not so brief in the case of a muted trumpet. However that still would require head voltage of what ? Maybe 3,163 times the normal rails ? (I am NOT figuring that out)

Even at that, if normal music was not compressed it would never fit within the dynamic range of anything.

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers
The Troll is back.

Please do not feed the troll (You, too, Jeff).

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers
 > The Troll is back.
 >
 > Please do not feed the troll (You, too, Jeff).

But he ain't housebroke yet.
Like a recalcitrant puppy, he needs his nose rubbed in his
own shit until he learns.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Such puppies are also very good at finding that single vulnerable point to exploit to continue said negative attention. In your case - Snit.

Put this troll into a silent hell with no feedback but for what it makes for itself, and eventually (long-term) it will shrivel up and blow away.

On 4/16/18 11:27 AM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
 > Am Mon, 16 Apr 2018 09:08:19 -0500, schrieb Fox's Mercantile:
 >
 >> You are obviously obsessed with the idea that I'm Snit.
 >> I hate to break the news to you Bunky, I ain't Snit.
 >
 > Then why do you puppy-dog follow me around the net, just like
 > you did as Snit

I hate to break it to you, but Snit ain't the only one that thinks
you're a worthless troll spewing your stupid shit non-stop.
But keep calling me Snit if that's what makes your pitiful excuse
of a dick hard.

Glad to see you enjoy being told you're a moron.
Maybe you'll just shut the fuck up and go away.

And I keep re-including your original cross-posted groups because
I'm sure they're enjoying watching you getting your nose rubbed in
your own shit repeatedly.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Well, that works but remember, it's not my car, so I'm completely
unfamiliar with everything about the car.

Also remember that I have a lady watching over my shoulder who was the mom
of the girl who was her daughter, helping me, who owned the car ... where
you know, as I know, that breaking things like those dastardly clips gets
those kinds of people upset.

Us? We break those clips all the time ... and we remove more parts than
necessary all the time, and we remove fewer than needed all the time, and
we take off parts out of order all the time, etc., where I didn't have the
luxury of experimenting while working on this neighbor's car.

Besides, I could have written it all down, but really, it's just speakers
(as you said) and there were only about fifty or so connectors to unclip or
unscrew, so, that's not all that much to remember (or write down), but why
bother.

I put the kid to good use by having her hold the iPad tablet, and she would
read out the next step and I would do it while she paused it.

That worked out perfectly - but they don't have a router (reminder for me
to buy them a new router as they only use desktops or cellular).

In my case, this use model was perfect:\
a. Mom watched over everything like a hawk (but she did bring refreshments!)
b. Daughter held iPad and told me what step to do next (this kept her busy).
c. I removed the fifty or so bolts and clips & installed the speakers.

When it came time to drill into the rear panel, I sent the mom and daughter
inside asking for them to make more food!

(They would have screamed had they seen me drilling the holes.)

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

$ 45/hour
$ 75/hour if you took it apart
$ 90/hour if you advise
$ 500/hour if you watch

Actually you can watch as long as you don't want to.

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

You have an intuitive mind.

Every car is different. I've replaced spark plugs in an Infiniti where the
engine has to come out. For you to say, "funny, whenever I've replaced
spark plugs (and I've replaced a lot in my cars), I've never had to lift
the engine", is just telling us you haven't done enough engines yet! :)

Likewise, I've replaced what amounts to the PCV valve in a BMW (they call
it a CCV) where the amount of stuff that has to be removed is nothing like
that of a typical American car so for you to say something like "funny,
whenever I've replaced PCV (and I've replaced a lot in my cars), I've never
had to lift the intake manifold", is just telling us you haven't done
enough engines yet! :)

You just don't have the expertise yet - but you will soon.

The iPad doesn't have cellular. It's WiFi only. And if it had cellular, it
wouldn't work, since the neighbor's SIM card wouldn't even fit, let alone
work. And they are on Verizon anyway, but it still wouldn't work as they
had puny cellphones.

You don't have the expertise yet to understand the problem set
sufficiently, (likely because you have no experience with iOS perhaps?)
which is fine but which seems to be the case.

Remember, it took only a minute or three to set this up, whereas what
you're suggesting is either impossible (putting the tablet on their wifi
network) or impractical by way of comparison (using a puny cell phone when
a tablet is better).

What would be preferable, instead of suggesting impossible or impractical
solutions, would be to suggest a one-step (instead of two-step) solution to
get the video onto the WiFi-only iPad.

Now *that* would be a useful suggestion (because it would take intelligence
and expertise to solve that problem, which is something that is not
intuitive).

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

I see it as common sense.

If I can't access A without removing B in the engine bay, I take it to the garage.  I don't even change my own oil.  I do however buy my own parts on Ebay.  This really pisses off the garage who likes to make money on markup.  I get them to do a service/MOT check and give me a list of what's wrong with it, then I turn up a few days later with all the parts and insist they only charge for the labour on the bill.  If they refuse, bringing up the subject of ripoff and markup frightens off other customers and they get on with it.

Car designers never seem to think of servicing ease.

Then the ipad is a piece of shit.  Use whatever phone of yours or theirs has cellular access.

I avoid IOS because I know it's rubbish.

Stop using an Ipad.  Surely there are normal tablets (as in non-Apple) that can access the cell network?

On the topic of mobile phones:
Anything bigger than 4 inches is getting into the region where most people would have difficulty holding and using the device comfortably -- Callum Kerr, 2013.

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

What a load of shit you tossers spout.

Re: Using an iPad to follow a YouTube DIY without Internet to replace automotive speakers

What do you expect from someone called "Ragnusen"?

--
Worlds most powerful nob enlarger - a space suit with a fly zip

Site Timeline