USB car chargers

Rakuten just gave me $10 free so I ordered this for $6.99 (no tax or shipping). I like these people and Deal Extreme for stuff like this. I'd previously orderd some microUSB cables from DealExtreme for $1.40 each and just found a pretty pink one for 99 cents at the 99-Cents-Only Store :-( Now I can carry one in the car AND in my purse AND...uh...never mind.

(2.1A + 1.0 A)

--
Cheers, Bev
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

The Real Bev has written on 12/26/2013 4:55 PM:

Interesting that they call it a 3.1A charger!

Reply to
Juan Wei

Generally, USB is 500 mA which isn't good enough for smart phones nowadays.

The iPad is 2.1 Amps, and most smartphones could use anywhere from 750mA to 1 Amp.

So, dual slot USB chargers, where one slot is 2.1 Amps and the other slot is 1 Amp are a good choice.

Just make sure you read the fine print because the lower amperage units are notorious for hiding the specs.

For example, it might say it's 1 Amp, but, unless it says otherwise, that's just 500 mA out of each slot, which isn't close to enough current nowadays.

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

Hmmm... then how do I charge my android cell phone by plugging it into the USB port on the computer ? which I do frequently.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Reply to
John B.

On 27/12/2013 11:13, John B. wrote: []

Yes, it should charge, but more slowly than with a a higher-rated 5 V source. The iPad indicates "Not charging" when plugged into a 0.5 A source, which suggests to me that it's consuming in the region of 0.5 A during normal operation. Even so, the iPad 3 /would/ charge with just a

0.5 A source.

Some phones will take more than others, but I would be surprised if any take 0.5 A during normal operation - but I have been surprised before. Those phones would obviously not charge while switched on, but should when powered down.

--
Cheers,
David

I won't disagree that an /idle/ phone should charge, even with only a puny 1/2 Amp USB port, but in a car, with GPS going, *my* Samsung Galaxy S3 would die within a couple of hours when I used a car cigarette lighter USB charger which turned out to be only 1/2 Amp.

So, I guess if you only go on 1/2 hour trips, 1/2 Amp *might* be enough. But, why not just get a /real/ 3.1 Amp charger.

By "real", I mean it's *15 Watts*, not 10 Watts (which just means you can get 2.1 Amps (for an iPad) out of one port *or* (notice this is "OR" and not "AND") 1 Amp out of each port.

I would deprecate any charger, such as the one listed in the OP, which doesn't give the rated amperage out of each port *imultaneously*.

My Samsung Galaxy S3 stock wall charger is 850 milliAmps ...

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

According to:

the battery life with 3G talk is around 11 hours, and with a capacity of

2100 mAh that implies a consumption of around 190 mA. I would be surprised if the GPS added more than 30 mA to that, making a total of 220 mA, with a battery lifetime of around 9.5 hours.

So even with a charger delivering only 500 mA, that should be enough to both power the phone /and/ charge the battery.

As a cross-check you say that the charges is 850 mA, so that should give a charge time (phone off) of about 2.5 hours. Is that what you see and what they quote?

BTW: I don't have a car, and strongly support those who discourage any form of distraction while driving.

--
Cheers,
David

This is interesting. Maybe my Samsung Galaxy S3 is defective, 'cuz, it certainly would die on a 500 mA USB car charger, and, the original charger that came with it is certainly 850 mA.

I can't disagree with the math you showed. I can't explain why *my* Samsung Galaxy S3 would die on a 500 mA standard USB charger then.

I'm not sure what the charge time is, but, it's on the order of a few hours (I never tested it as I charge it overnight as a habit).

Reply to
Danny D'Amico

If your phone has some age on it, it may be that the battery isn't what it once was, or is on the verge of giving out. Batteries don't last forever, and any lifespan specs you may have are only averages at best. Some will last far beyond the expected lifespan while others will fail out-of-the-box, with all the rest anywhere in between. And aged batteries can do funny things before failing completely.

TJ

Reply to
TJ

Thanks. This whole current:wattage thing is important, since without power, it's just a conveniently sized brick - and - that darn GPS sure *seems* to suck power out of my Samsung Galaxy S3!

I'm adding the GPS newsgroup, who might actually be able to answer

*how much power* GPS consumes in an Android cellphone anyway.

BTW, as further proof that price is no indication of quality (never was), here are two ads which *sound similar* but which are not:

This (from the OP) 'says' it's a 3.1 Amp USB car charger adapter:

This 'is' a 3.1 Amp USB car charger adapter:

The first is really only a 2.1 Amp charger because it's limited to

10 Watts (bearing in mind USB is 5 Volts); while the second is a true 15 Watt charger (which means *both* ports can output the rated current simultaneously).

Notice the price is almost the same (at $7 and $8 exclusive of tax and shipping).

Reply to
Danny D'Amico