URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

I was watching a youtube video when I realized that my ac/dc adapter was un plugged from the wall and grounding unit. I plugged it back in and my lapto pl froze then made a loud buzzing sound. I imeditaly turned it off and on, there were 0 probelms. Then, when I made sure that my power cord was workin g, I plugged it in and nothing. When I remove it, the screen flashes black for about 1/5 of a second this is only external. I don't know if my adapter has been fried or the power component in my laptop has been. I am rushing this post because I only have 17% left on my latptop and this is the only d evice I have. I am backing up everything and I also ran power diagnostics. Please, if you have any information on how to check if one is broken or the other, respond immeditally. Sorry for the bad post, but time is limited. T omorrow, I am going to try and build a charger (usb) for it with some extre mely low output batteries and capacitors 130maH in total. yes, I am on it now for those of you who are "slow".

//I had it plugged in during the test, but no charge. Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report Computer Name LAPTOP-TEK9BJPL Scan Time

2018-05-11T03:28:50Z Scan Duration 60 seconds System Manufacturer LENOVO System Product Name 80S6 BIOS Date 01/23/2016 BIOS Version 0YCN13WW OS Build 14393 Platform Role PlatformRoleMobile Plugged In false Process Count 102 Thread Count 1187 Report GUID {1d5f5a1d-e3b4-48d9-a37b-3c6c9e2108d3} Analysis Results Errors Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (On Battery) The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is o n battery power. Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (On Battery) The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of ina ctivity. Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (On Battery) The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes. Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (On Battery) The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASP M) is configured to Off. Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In) The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is p lugged in. Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In) The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of ina ctivity. Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In) The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption b ased on activity. Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In) The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASP M) is configured to Off. System Availability Requests:System Required Request The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically ent ering sleep. Requesting Process \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\explorer.exe System Availability Requests:Execution Required Request The program has made a request for execution-required. Requesting Process \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\explorer.exe System Availability Requests:System Required Request The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically ent ering sleep. Requesting Process \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe System Availability Requests:Execution Required Request The program has made a request for execution-required. Requesting Process \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Su spend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping . Device Name USB Mass Storage Device Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B5 Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0 Device ID USB\VID_0781&PID_5581 Port Path 8 CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system wil l consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Re view processor utilization for individual processes to determine which appl ications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization. Average Utilization (%) 42.47 Device Drivers: Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumptio n. Device Name Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter Device ID {5D624F94-8850-40C3-A3FA-A4FD2080BAF3}\VWIFIMP_SAP\5&EDF71E6&0&13 Device Status 0x1802400 Device Problem Code 0x16 Warnings Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery) The display is configured to turn off after longer than 5 minutes. Timeout (seconds) 600 Power Policy:Dim timeout is long (On Battery) The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 5 minutes. Timeout (seconds) 585 Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In) The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes. Timeout (seconds) 900 Power Policy:Dim timeout is long (Plugged In) The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 10 minutes . Timeout (seconds) 885 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name MsMpEng.exe PID 2732 Average Utilization (%) 11.34 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition U pdates\{68285C40-5309-4CD8-A11A-76B1E7010C62}\mpengine.dll 8.27 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 1.40 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.82 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name explorer.exe PID 3732 Average Utilization (%) 7.50 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 2.66 \SystemRoot\System32\win32kbase.sys 0.88 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.80 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name dllhost.exe PID 7036 Average Utilization (%) 6.19 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 3.49 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.45 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll 0.38 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name System PID 4 Average Utilization (%) 3.49 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 2.70 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys 0.48 \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys 0.13 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name MemCompression PID 3036 Average Utilization (%) 3.31 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 3.27 \SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll 0.00 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys 0.00 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name dwm.exe PID 1012 Average Utilization (%) 2.06 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.49 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.40 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\igd10iumd64.dll 0.15 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name chrome.exe PID 1172 Average Utilization (%) 1.79 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\66.0. 3359.170\chrome_child.dll 1.69 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.04 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.03 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name chrome.exe PID 2940 Average Utilization (%) 0.98 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\66.0. 3359.170\chrome.dll 0.57 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.14 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.14 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name SynTPEnh.exe PID 4860 Average Utilization (%) 0.48 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.12 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\SynCOM.dll 0.09 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.07 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name chrome.exe PID 4916 Average Utilization (%) 0.44 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.08 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\66.0. 3359.170\chrome_child.dll 0.07 \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\66.0. 3359.170\libglesv2.dll 0.06 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name chrome.exe PID 6616 Average Utilization (%) 0.42 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\66.0. 3359.170\chrome_child.dll 0.26

0.08 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

0.03 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name chrome.exe PID 6752 Average Utilization (%) 0.31 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\66.0. 3359.170\chrome_child.dll 0.19 \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.04

0.03 CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization. This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo r utilization recorded during the trace. Process Name csrss.exe PID

624 Average Utilization (%) 0.27 Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.12 \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys 0.05 \SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys 0.03 Information Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, pro cessor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolu tion may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations. Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 156260 Power Policy:Active Power Plan The current power plan in use Plan Name OEM High Performance Plan GUID {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery) The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery pow er. Personality High Performance Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery) Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video. Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In) The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in. Personality High Performance Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In) The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes. Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In) Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video. Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID

123456789Intel SR 1Harris Beach Manufacturer Intel SR 1 Serial Number 123456789 Chemistry LION Long Term 1 Sealed 0 Cycle Count 202 Design Capacity 45710 Last Full Charge 38400 Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platf orms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory cont ents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms s upport the S1 or S2 Sleep states. S1 Sleep Supported false S2 Sleep Supported false S3 Sleep Supported true S4 Sleep Supported true Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instea d of system sleep states. Connected Standby Supported false Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is suppo rted. This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of th e integrated display. Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilit ies Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 0 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 1601 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 29 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilit ies Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption. Group 0 Index 1 Idle State Count 3 Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States Nominal Frequency (MHz) 1601 Maximum Performance Percentage 100 Lowest Performance Percentage 29 Lowest Throttle Percentage 3 Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Reply to
Python Studios

[...]

a multimteter will tell you what's coming out of the psu. junk snipped

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's hard to get a connection to the interface between the PS and the computer when it's plugged in. Measuring the PS unloaded can tell you if it's dead, but not much else.

Reply to
mike

[...]

It's the first thing I'd do. What's the first thing you'd do?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Probably the first thing I would do also.

With some of the multimeters less than $ 10 everyhone should have one and have a basic idea of how to do simple measurments.

While it would not tell if the power supply is working, it will tell if it is totally dead or maybe if the voltage is way too high or low.

An ohm check across the primary of the supply could tell if it was bad, but with the moden supplies it may not.

Some of the switching supplies may not show a voltage if not under load, but still that is where I would start.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Probably the first thing I would do also.

With some of the multimeters less than $ 10 everyhone should have one and have a basic idea of how to do simple measurments.

While it would not tell if the power supply is working, it will tell if it is totally dead or maybe if the voltage is way too high or low.

An ohm check across the primary of the supply could tell if it was bad, but with the moden supplies it may not.

Some of the switching supplies may not show a voltage if not under load, but still that is where I would start.

**********************************

I read this occasionally, but I have never come across an SMPS that will not run without a load.

I have come across some that show overvoltage with no load, however.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

If they latch into a shutdown mode from overvoltage they won't. Actually though in practice the output filter stays charged for quite some time so you have an indication that it DID run. (unless it crowbars the output)

Reply to
jurb6006

Don't most PC power supplies stay off until that one pin is grounded on the 24 pin motherboard connector? True that isn't exactly what you were talking about, but it might give a novice the impression the supply won't start without a load becasue unplugging the load shuts down the supply.

Reply to
Pat

If they latch into a shutdown mode from overvoltage they won't. Actually though in practice the output filter stays charged for quite some time so you have an indication that it DID run. (unless it crowbars the output)

***********************

I get that.

I still have experience of SMPS that DO produce overvoltage with no load, but are fine when connected.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

That's the first thing I'd do too. BUT If it measured the correct voltage, I'd put a load on it and look at it with a scope. This is FAR EASIER than taking the laptop apart, only to find that the AC adapter was bad all along...and you broke a bunch of the plastic snaps trying to pry it apart. Been there, done that.

Make DARN sure the power supply is good before disassembling a laptop.

In ANY diagnostic situation, you start asking questions to determine the diagnostic tree. For each question, ask yourself, "What am I gonna do with the answer once I have it?" If you can't do anything with the answer, it doesn't help to ask the question. You can lop off whole branches of your diagnostic tree. If your lack of test equipment lops off ALL the branches, you're dead in the water. Fixing it will be a matter of luck.

In this case, if you can't load the power supply and look at it with a scope, you have two options.

1) output voltage is not correct on the multimeter.>> laptop ac supply is probably defective. 2) no load output voltage is correct...and you don't have a scope>> you probably shouldn't be taking the laptop apart until you have more info or a known-good power supply.

"my laptopl froze then made a loud buzzing sound" is NOT a good symptom That it didn't buzz next time suggests like the power supply is defective and it blew a fuse or something inside the laptop. Or that a static zap killed it when it was plugged in. OR...OR... In that case, trying a good power supply may not fix it. And if you fix the inside problem and plug in the bad supply, you may break it again. Been there done that.

Reply to
mike

I don't know if you have any repair resources near you.

I'll tell my story.

I had a laptop with a bad power jack. I went on youtube and watched videos on how to disassemble this brand of laptop. It's a daunting task, they aren't made to come apart easily, and that power jack is very vulnerable.

And then, before I did it, I took the laptop to Staples to their "free diagnosis" desk. They connected it to a universal power supply, one of those that comes with several connector pins. Surprise, it booted right up and charged fine.

Even though everybody I talked to was sure it was the laptop, the power supply was the actual problem. All I had to do was buy the new supply.

Reply to
Tim R