TV without SCART

is it possible to make RGB SCART connector on a TV that doesn't have one? (its a Toshiba TV and has only composite input) how easy/hard would it be?

Reply to
orange

Given that you can pick up reasonable CRT TV's for free these days you'd wnat a special reason for modifying that one. This TV wouldn't be an LCD one by any chance?

Get the datasheet for your set, the PAL decoder chip and then find the service sheet for another set that uses the same (or near) chip, and has SCART. Between all that information you should have what you need to figure it out. Make sure that your set does not have a live chassis, and make sure your modifications are safe!

Reminds me of an old project I did with a 16" Microvitec bare frame RGB TTL monitor pulled from an old games machine, converting it into a colour TV with teletext. Bypassed some TTL buffers and managed to drive linear signals to the guns, fitted a 'Manor Supplies' PAL decoder kit (which actually was designed for another Microvitec monitor - these were popular in UK schools for use with the BBC Microcomputer) and got a 'sandcastle' pulse generated from the inwards of the monitor PCB to interface the decoder. Teletext (Mullard SAA50xx series) was added from another PCB ripped out of another TV set (even got fast blanking and subtitles going), and the remote keypad was from an old Texas Instruments LED calculator (which should have been kept intact and Ebayed today)...

Happy days - the whole thing didn't have much of a case, and family members and friends regarded this very much mains live innovation with suspicion. I wasn't much good at metalwork or woodwork as I am now, cardboard seemed a lot easier to work with....

'Kids', don't try this at home ;-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

If the set was available with a SCART, the PCB may well be designed for the extra components needed.

If not, is it worth it? Anything *can* be done, but by asking the question it sounds like you're not familiar with this sort of work and having a repair shop do it would probably cost more than a new TV.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)