TV Repair or Replace

I have a 35" Toshiba TV. It's about 10 years old. I just turned it on and all I see is a horizontal white line across the center of the tube.

Question: Repair or replace it?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack

Jack: REPAIR it. bad vert defl chip? bad flyback derived B+? faulty solder connections? High ESR caps? , etc, etc, etc. As long as the picture was good right before the failure it is definately worth repairing. It is probably not too expensive at most shops..... it would be best if you TOOK it to a service shop for, at the very least, a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet wild guesses. A real, in person tech will have to look at it and open'er up and do some testing to determine the exact failure and susequent estimated repair price.... can't be done with any certainty otherwise. electricitym . .

Reply to
electricitym

If it had a good picture before then get it repaired, that's a real simple fault to fix provided you haven't run it long enough to burn a line into the tube.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes simple repair for a shop . It should not cost more than 50 to 60$ if so then you are getting gouged .

Reply to
Ken G.

In one of my TVs that same problem was caused by a bad 180V electrolytic capacitor in series with the vertical yoke, but in another a transistor in the vertical output chip blew. The chip was $15, but some local places wanted $50. Fox International, MCM Electronics, and other sources listed in the

are usually cheapest.

Many libraries carry Sams Photofacts schematics, either on paper or online, but it shouldn't be that hard to find the vertical output section by tracing the wires from the yoke and looking up the part numbers of the transistor or chip to find out their functions.

has information for a lot of those parts.

Be careful about letting the TV fall forward and making the CRT shatter and explode.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I charge $64 if it requires resoldering the vertical IC and $84 + parts if it reauires changing the output IC and/or any caps. I don't think I am gouging anyone.

Those rates, of course, include routine adjustment of focus and white balance, resoldering other components that might need it, leakage test, and verifying the operation of the tuner, switching, and condition of the CRT before fixing the set. If I had to charge less it would not be worth my time.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Worth fixing for sure. If you take it in to the shop the labor should be between $75 and $90 depending on exaclty how many parts need replaced plus the parts, typically $25-40. Add the trip charge to this repair guess amount if you want to do come out and do this. Most shops will want to keep the total repair on a set this old even in this size under $120 maximum for a complete repair and check out with that type of problem if you take it in.

Odds are very high on a 10 year old Toshiba that a quality repair will require checking the known electrolytic capacitors for potential future failure in addition to the few capacitors in the vertical that are bad that took out the vertical ic and fusible resistor.

You do want to make sure you call a reputable shop that has the experience so they can actually fix the known potential failures that could happen soon after this repair so you won't have to pay again. Realize that even if you take the tv in, it is going to take two people to move the tv around and then a well experienced tech should have not more than about one hour in the set for the repair, then another couple of hours of bench repair test time.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Ditto, you cannot even afford to break even with a good tech on the payroll without recouping at least $85 for each hour they are working. Every job that requires replacing a part basically takes an hour labor from start to finish.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Ken G: What kind of business are you or have been involved in???

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie