TV repair attempt - help with diagnosis

We have a Hitachi C36WF830N 36" CRT television. Unfortunately, it has broken down, hence this post. I dabble in electronics but am no means an expert. I have skimmed

which is a great resource, but I feel I need some more help before I embark on the adventure.

Several times recently, the TV has cut out during normal viewing. We have found that switching it off for a couple of minutes then back on, allows normal operation. Unfortunately, now even that does not work.

What happens is that on power-up, I hear the usual click of one, then another relay, after about 1 and 4 seconds respectively. Normally, after the second click, the sound and vision work. However, now after the second click, nothing happens. No sound or vision, no response to buttons on the TV or remote control e.g. when pressing the volume adjust, the indicator is not displayed. More than that, I do not believe it is responding - if I press the standby button on the remote control, the red light on the front flickers indicating it "sees" the command, but there is no relay clicking etc.

In the above link, this looks most like

Do you agree that this is the right path to investigate? Any other comments? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
TD

If this was first intermittent in the way that you describe, and has now stopped completely, the most likely (and common) cause is bad solder joints. You may be able to prove this fairly simply by just pressing down on the centre of the main PCB with something fairly long and insulated - like a chopstick for instance - and repowering. If that makes it come on, look under the board for a cracked / burnt joint. There are other somewhat more 'electronic' possibilities, but bad joints is certainly the first thing to go for.

I don't believe that the link points to a particularly relevant series of tests to your described problem, at this stage of the investigation.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thank you for the helpful response, I will investigate and report back.

Reply to
TD