TV reception problems

We would be grateful if anyone as any ideas to solving our problem.

We have recently moved from the UK to St Vincent and theGrenadines in the West Indies, our TV worked with the local broadcast channel, but now that we have installed cable tv, we are only getting sound with 3 of the 40+ channels.

The cable company were not able to offer any sensible suggestions, other than purchase a local TV!

I have been advised of a number of possible issues, which may or may not be relevant, any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

  1. that this is due to a PAL NTSC incompatability issue - if this was true, why are we recieveing 3 channels with pic and sound, and why were we able to recieve perfectly the local broardcast channel.

  1. that the signals we are getting with sound are antena channels, which is why we also recieved the local station - if this is true, how do we change the TV set-up to recieve cable?

My TV is a Philips 23" TFT wide screen, model 23PF9945/12, purchased arround 2003.

Many thanks snipped-for-privacy@vincysurf.com

Reply to
Chris123

There are PAL to NTSC converters on the market. Try a Google search. The least expensive one a quick look found was about $150. A new or even used TV might well be the way to go.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

In message , Chris123 writes

From what you say below, you are definitely getting the three channels with proper colour pictures and sound (rather than getting only the sound of the three channels).

You need to know what system standards the cable company are putting out. They should be able to tell you. Have they told you that they ARE NTSC? Are the three local off-air channels PAL, while the others are NTSC (probably off a satellite)?

Is reception directly on the TV set, or is there a set-top box involved?

Even if the majority of the channels are NTSC, you should still be able to tune in to them, depending on what their frequencies are, and the frequencies your TV set can tune to. However, if your TV can only receive PAL, the NTSC pictures will be in black and white, and there will be no sound (or maybe a loud buzzing on sound).

It the pictures ARE in colour, but with NO sound, that is a bit strange. It could be that the cable channels are putting out something like PAL-M (I think that is what it called). I haven't checked, but I believe that this is 625-line PAL, bit with the sound at 4.5MHz instead of the usual

6 (or 5.5)MHz (but I could be completely wrong). However, although there used to be some of these 'hybrid' systems around, I doubt if they are used these days.

Are you really getting the three good channels via the cable. It's not a stray pickup effect, is it, and these are off-air signals?

I don't know much about these newfangled sets, but have you delved into the setup menus? It may be possible to select NTSC (assuming this is what the cable channels are).

Ian.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

To be simple, the set has a system compatibility issue. It is best to buy a set that is designed for your local area's standard.

In different countries, the front end tuning frequency bands are also different. Your set may also have a compatibility issue with that as well.

The stations that are coming in well, can be either they are PAL, or they are at a particular frequency and characteristic that your set can handle.

I am sure that if you obtained a proper TV set for your area, it will work.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA