TV question and help (HDTV)

no-archive:yes

I am just beginning to understan dhow all this works so I would appreciate your help. I have some stations 30 miles away and about 80 miles away that broadcast HDTV over the air. (I live near Nashville, Tn. I have a 90's model cabinet RCA tv that has a common problem. The solder in the tunner is bad and causes my over the air signals to go out when watching them. (I have an antenna tower. I also have basic direct tv).

I can use the tuner in the vcr or satelite and hav eno problems with reception.

My question is, can I get a cheap new or used HDTV converter that will also pick up analog signals to bypass my tv's problem? Can I just get a replacement ssatelite box for my direct tv that will have an over the air HDTV converter and an analog over the air tuner built in?

I am sorry if I have not explained this clearly. If you have any questions maybe I can explain it further.

Reply to
stryped

You can use the hdtv converter until the tuner grounds in the tv set cause eeprom corruption and the tv goes completely dead. You will notice that the image may move up and down or become jumpy soon before this happens.

This is a well documented fix on the web and generally easy to do with the right soldering equipment and some pretty good soldering skills.

Reply to
dkuhajda

x-no-archive:yes

Can you direct me to this fix. I asked once and someone on another newsgroup scared me away a little.

I have soldered electrical wires when I installed a remote starter in my truck but never a circuit board.

snipped-for-privacy@locl.net wrote:

Reply to
stryped